• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 shelter build.

fpchief

Got the posts down and frame on. Will let concrete set tonight and start building the trusses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fpchief

The shelter is just about complete. The electrician came out and did a great job on the box. I was going to use shingles but down here, shiny metal goes with anything unless you are hoity toity. Got the roof pitch the same as the house. Still going to put some decent looking rubber matting under the Mep.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JRM

I need to build something like this, how easy is it to screen the ventilation holes to stop mice from chewing the wiring up? I cant decide if I want to build a fully enclosed shelter or just a leaning roof off the side of my house. With the fireballs this thing shoots out when under heavy load im a little timid in having the shelter connect to my house.

Bmxenbrett

Its alot easier screening the holes than to build a shelter...but there for different things. You should screen the intakes no matter where you keep it.

I dont get any "fireballs" out of mine.

Guyfang

Staff member
I need to build something like this, how easy is it to screen the ventilation holes to stop mice from chewing the wiring up? I cant decide if I want to build a fully enclosed shelter or just a leaning roof off the side of my house. With the fireballs this thing shoots out when under heavy load im a little timid in having the shelter connect to my house.
The "fire balls" are a product of not having run the set with enough load at some time in the past. They come from wet stacking. It sounds like a you are now running it a higher load, hence the crud drys up and gets spit out. Put your set at 80% load, and let her rip for A few hours. At some time you will find that there are no more fire balls.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter how you shelter the genset, you still should screen it off from mice. They will usually find their way into a building/ shelter but if you screen of the generator they stop there.
It's not difficult and there are several pics on the subject here on the board. Use 1/4 inch hardware cloth, anything larger they can squeeze through.

JRM

I think I will have a 10x15 building built with foundation, run underground conduit with a #6 and also screen off the genset as well. That way I can also store some lawn & garden items inside with it. Im the guy who picked up that used Honda EB12D for my father, I pulled it apart to do a Timing belt and the mice damage is epic, some of the steel is completely rotted out- check out what mouse pee did to the valve cover and injectors, only 16 hours on this unit- but 10 years storage inside a hay barn:

eb12d.jpg

Last edited:

Weller

The corrosion from the pee is worse than the nesting material, that looks awful. I probably won't get to building a shelter until next year and I'm watching for ideas.

Bmxenbrett

Wow thats prety bad. You had to smell that before you bought it no? They didnt get in the engine did they?

Bead blaster works real well on cleaning up aluminum.

JRM

didn't stink at all, it was removed from that problem area about a year ago and all the paneling didn't allow a view to the top- o'well, runs perfect....just a huge clean up and a few cans of hammerrite

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks