• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803 Starting Issues

CT-Mike

So my 803 typically starts with no issues. Today I went out to start for monthly run prior to the high winds and heavy rains that are coming this way.

Fuel pump clicked away in prime and run. After 30 seconds I went to start and nothing. No clicks, no noise, nothing.

It happily cranked away using the dead crank switch. Tried to start, nothing. After the third or fourth time dead cranking, it finally started and is running fine.

Off the top of my head it seems likely a loose relay, or other connection. Any one have any ideas on where I should start looking?

Thanks.

CT-Mike

I keep a NoCo Genius 7200 on it at all times, I just disconnect prior to starting. I will check voltage of the batteries after I shut it down and report back.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a color schematic somewhere in these threads that shows the DC circuitry under different conditions, each marked with a different color.

I'd start with that and identify the few components involved in the starting condition ( its marked in green) then check all connections for cleanliness and tightness.

If just removed a charger/maintainer and your set is cranking away strong using the dead crank switch, I doubt very much that its a battery voltage issue.

Guyfang

Staff member
What type start switch do you have? If you don't know, take a picture of it and post it. When you have a starting problem, it all starts, with the S1 start switch. Troubleshooting. Start at the beginning. Do you now still have the problem? If you can't recreate the problem, you can't find the problem.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the -24 manual for this set? Under section 2-12 "1. ENGINE FAILS TO CRANK." Start there.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type start switch do you have? If you don't know, take a picture of it and post it. When you have a starting problem, it all starts, with the S1 start switch. Troubleshooting. Start at the beginning. Do you now still have the problem? If you can't recreate the problem, you can't find the problem.
Agree and I was going to post the same thing but was trying to spur him to break out the schematics.

Mechanical devices are always a good first place to start trouble shooting. That switch sees use every start up.

Reminds me of my instructor in electronics class when we were repairing TVs. He always said start at the mechanical tuner, provided that the set turned on ok, as people would wear them out flipping channels and he was right a majority of time. ;-)

Guyfang

Staff member
Good! New type. So if it worked before, it should not be a problem now. That doesn't mean we should not check it, just its not normally a problem area. Had it been a type 1 or type 2, different deal. Like I posted before, can you duplicate the fault? If you try and start it now, will it? You cant find a fault, it the set works right.

What is all this extra stuff I see in the picture? There are a few wires that are add on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks