• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 stencils

spotrep

Hey gents,

I found artwork for stencils here:

I cut them out and compared them to my genset and the font is different. Could this be a case of mine being a reset?

Last edited:

Ray70

Not sure what you mean by cut them out? The stencils are not intended to be printed and hand cut as they are not the correct font.
The intention is to use the wording and spacing / alignment shown and purchase stencils from the company indicated using the size and military font listed in blue at the top if each section.
It sounds like you may have printed them and hand cut them??

spotrep

Not sure what you mean by cut them out? The stencils are not intended to be printed and hand cut as they are not the correct font.
The intention is to use the wording and spacing / alignment shown and purchase stencils from the company indicated using the size and military font listed in blue at the top if each section.
It sounds like you may have printed them and hand cut them??
I used a laser cutter to cut the stencils.
In my research it looks as though the used a Marsh Stenciling machine to make the stencils. very cool tool. I have tracked down a font (Just search Marsh stenciling font) that looks similar but not exact. I don't know font definitions very well, but just as an example on my machine the "R" used the bottom right leg of the letter is perpendicular to the writing line ( the imaginary line that the letters are situated in the make a word), however in the marsh font that I have found, the leg of the "R" is angled outward like the font I'm typing in now.

I apparently read the post I shared too quickly as I didn't catch that it wasn't intended to be the correct font. If I can manage to track down the perfect font I will be sure to upload files I create.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I used a laser cutter to cut the stencils.
In my research it looks as though the used a Marsh Stenciling machine to make the stencils. very cool tool. I have tracked down a font (Just search Marsh stenciling font) that looks similar but not exact. I don't know font definitions very well, but just as an example on my machine the "R" used the bottom right leg of the letter is perpendicular to the writing line ( the imaginary line that the letters are situated in the make a word), however in the marsh font that I have found, the leg of the "R" is angled outward like the font I'm typing in now.

I apparently read the post I shared too quickly as I didn't catch that it wasn't intended to be the correct font. If I can manage to track down the perfect font I will be sure to upload files I create.
Remember too - like @Guyfang mentioned - The military has absolutely NO CONCERN with stencils being different on a machine. Stencils are hand punched on a machine (generally) and if a stencil cutter dies, a new one is ordered or "lifted" from some other shop and that becomes the spec.

spotrep

I am recreating the font that was used in mine. A bit painstaking and definitely overkill. Like I said earlier, I’m pretty certain the stencils used on mine came off of a Marsh stenciler (at lea at same font). It would not surprise me if someone on the forum has one just cause they’re cool little tools. They are still made and sold today. Here is one from uline: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-408/Stencils-and-Supplies/Stencil-Machine-3-4

Based on my reading the font and machine were developed around wwII. Some cool history, I thought it would be cool to keep them on the machine. Anyways, the font I found is close but not perfect. After tomorrow I should have a font that is indistinguishable from the Marsh machine.

here is someone that sells custom stencils off the marsh stenciler: https://www.armynavywarehouse.com/stencils

The stencils on 802/803’s exceed the character limit they offer, and it’s quite pricey IMO.

I understand the military didn’t care, but doesn’t mean I don’t have to!
With a laser I should be able to pretty quickly pump out a bunch stencils much more cheaply than those selling them made from the marsh stenciler. If you prefer the marsh font like I do let me know and I’ll be sure to make you a set!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks