• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 Voltage Regulator

dangier

Kurt,
Had some time today so I tackled your new regulator for my 803. Install was fairly simple. Just have one issue-when I start the unit, the power comes up ok, then when I release the start switch, the power drops off to zero. Being you have the experience with this, maybe you could point me in the right direction and what to look for.
Thanks,
David

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David,

Check to be sure you have the VR's lead labelled M7-I on the correct terminal on the back of M7.
The terminals usually have an "S" and and "I" embossed in the case of the meter.
You need to be sure the lead is on the "I" terminal.
Having it on the incorrect terminal will cause what you are seeing.

Kurt

dangier

David,

Check to be sure you have the VR's lead labelled M7-I on the correct terminal on the back of M7.
The terminals usually have an "S" and and "I" embossed in the case of the meter.
You need to be sure the lead is on the "I" terminal.
Having it on the incorrect terminal will cause what you are seeing.

Kurt
Kurt,
I figured you would have an idea from the symptoms. I looked over M7 and did not see the "I". The wiring numbers on M7 did not line up (137Jxx). Will go over that area again tomorrow.
Many thanks for the response.
David

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
Here is an easy way to find the correct terminal.
Turn S1 to the PRIME/RUN position. You should hear the fuel pump running. With a meter measure the DC voltage at each of the terminals on M7 with respect to ground. One if them will have ~24 volts DC on it. That's the one the M7-I wire should be on.
The other terminal will have a DC voltage less than 12 volts.

dav5

Kurt,
I figured you would have an idea from the symptoms. I looked over M7 and did not see the "I". The wiring numbers on M7 did not line up (137Jxx). Will go over that area again tomorrow.
Many thanks for the response.
David
[/You can't always go by the diagram Kurt encloses. He gives the terminal designations which are the most important and sometimes you have to loosen the wires to rotate them out of the way to be able to read the designation. My terminal locations were reversed from the diagram.

dangier

Kurt,
Success! Found 24v power on the oil pressure gauge opposite terminal (one terminal counter-clockwise) with fuel pumps running. Moved wire, it started and is purring out there as I type this. Appears terminal designations are switched. Looks to be a quality constructed controller.
I appreciate the time and effort you have invested to improve our MEP's.
Many Thanks,
David

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
Some gauges have the terminals reversed. All depends on who the gauge vendor that supplied the gauges.
Great to hear she's up and running!
Kurt

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks