• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A 1 deg F / -17c cold start test and video

craigc

I was curious to see if my genset would start in fairly cold weather. It's my first 803A and the first time I've ever posted to youtube so please go easy on me :-D
Again thank you to all the helpful people on this site, I couldn't have gotten my MEP-803A running reliably without you all.

2009 MEP-803A with Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W40 engine oil and Howes Diesel conditioner in the fuel.
The genset would have likely started on the first try but I didn't hold it in the start position long enough. You can see the low oil pressure light on after I let go of the start switch.

https://youtu.be/g9wPIozlWoI

Last edited:

craigc

Nice. Been thinking about getting one of that model. That one looks to be in great shape.
Thanks, It got beat up a bit by the shipping company and some less than careful forklift operators. Since the enclosure is all aluminum it's fairly easy straighten out all the dents.
It's my first military surplus equipment, I'm fairly confident it will start in any weather now.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like your first attempt and starting failed due to not holding it in the START position long enough for the oil pressure to build up. I noticed the Low Oil Pressure light was on when it stalled out and your oil pressure gauge was virtually at zero. Probably would have kept running if held longer on the first attempt.
Nice genset! :p

csheath

Man that unit looks like new.

I should not need that Howes Diesel conditioner down here. Just had the wife pick up a bottle of FPPF 00119 KILLEM BIOCIDE to use in my storage drums though.

craigc

Looks like your first attempt and starting failed due to not holding it in the START position long enough for the oil pressure to build up. I noticed the Low Oil Pressure light was on when it stalled out and your oil pressure gauge was virtually at zero. Probably would have kept running if held longer on the first attempt.
Nice genset! :p
Thanks. I agree, I wrote just that in the youtube post.

craigc

Man that unit looks like new.

I should not need that Howes Diesel conditioner down here. Just had the wife pick up a bottle of FPPF 00119 KILLEM BIOCIDE to use in my storage drums though.
I use the Howes for several reasons, It cleans and lubricates fuel injectors, safely removes water from diesel fuel and eliminates smoking and rough idle. I have used it in my 7.3 Ford pickup since new in 2000 and have never had a fuel injector problem or any other fuel related issues. My truck is at 227K miles now.

Firebrand

Nice looking and running genset. Just might give the Howes a try for my diesel gear around the farm.

Good clear video, but one suggestion, from a professional; try shooting in the horizontal format as it's easier to see more like how a human sees the same scene as you.

craigc

Nice looking and running genset. Just might give the Howes a try for my diesel gear around the farm.

Good clear video, but one suggestion, from a professional; try shooting in the horizontal format as it's easier to see more like how a human sees the same scene as you.
Thanks, The Howes is sold everywhere and as far as I'm concerned it's the best by far, http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php
Thanks for the advice and I will definitely shoot videos horizontally from now on, your advice makes perfect sense.

gottaluvit

I was thinking the same thing about the video being in portrait vs. landscape. I tilted my phone twice trying to get it full screen til I realized it wasn't on my end.

Firebrand

Most phones can be locked on one position or the other when capturing images, both still and video.

Great to see your genes starts right up despite the chill.

I've got similar temps in my area today, just might try a cold start test myself.