• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Alternator and Pulley

CaryHenry

Hi Folks -
I just picked up an MEP-803a, but it doesn't have an alternator (or pulley, of course). I've been able to find multiple sources for the alternators, but haven't had any luck on the pulley. I've searched the forum, and the sources I've found via search seem to be out of stock with no timeframe of when they'll get any more in. Does anyone have any sources they could share? I'm also up for retrofitting other 24V alternators if that is a possibility.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately it seems the one I thought I had I no longer do. Only pulleys that seem to be in stock at the moment are crank pulleys with the reverse rotation bolts.

I even checked my rebuilt alternators boxed on the shelf, thinking I maybe sent it out... Nada. I will keep looking, and if I find a source, share it here.

CaryHenry

any reason this alternator wouldn't work? It's a highly available unit that has serpentine pulleys readily available. I know the vehicle guys use these on the M998 and M35 units. It's a single wire alternator, so should be easy to incorporate into the charging system. Is there anything special about the generator wiring to where this wouldn't be compatible? I know I may need to do some fabrication on the mounts, and may need a different sized belt. Anything I'm missing?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But would that be an issue?
It shouldn't be an issue as long as the output voltage is the same.

A larger current capability means that the alternator will just not work as hard.

The needed charge current will be determined by the charge state of the batteries. An alternator doesn't "push" current to a battery, the battery "draws" current as needed.

People put high output alternators in place of stock OEM alternators in vehicles all the time for greater current needs, such as high powered amplifiers, lighting, etc.

CaryHenry

Thanks. That was my understanding as well. It's a 24V unit, and the increased current rating should make it easier to find a pulley to work as I won't have to be as specific on alternator speed to get enough charge.

I'll go ahead and order this alternator to see if I can get it to line up with the serpentine belt. Should have some tolerance for adjustment as well as they offer 8 rib serpentine belt pulleys. I'll report back to let everyone know how it went.

CaryHenry

Awesome! Thank you. I ordered this pulley. 2.37in diameter with 8 grooves (more flexibility for belt alignment) and a 0.875" diameter to match the 21SI alternator. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
Tech data.
OUTSIDE DIAMETER2 231/500 INCHES NOMINAL
OVERALL LENGTH1 INCHES NOMINAL
KEYWAY WIDTH0 127/1000 INCHES NOMINAL
BORE DIAMETER0 157/250 INCHES NOMINAL
BORE LENGTH0 18/25 INCHES NOMINAL
DISTANCE FROM CENTER OF BORE TO BOTTOM OF KEYWAY0 193/500 INCHES NOMINAL
III END ITEM IDENTIFICATION6115-01-274-7387
V GROOVE ANGLE IN DEG40
MATERIAL AND LOCATIONSTEEL, AISI 1010 OVERALL AND STEEL, AISI 1020 OVERALL
FACE WIDTH0 829/1000 INCHES NOMINAL
DESIGN FORMWEBBED
BORE TYPESTRAIGHT
BEARINGSNOT INCLUDED
GROOVE QUANTITY4
COUNTERBORE FEATURENOT INCLUDED
KEYING FACILITYINCLUDED
KEYING FACILITY TYPEKEYWAY
SPLIT HUB FEATURENOT INCLUDED
WEB/SPOKE RELATIONSHIP TO FACE CENTERLINENOT OFFSET
LIGHTENING HOLENOT INCLUDED
INTEGRAL COOLING VANENOT INCLUDED
GROOVE SHAPEV
STANDARD V-BELT SECTION DESIGNATION FOR WHICH DESIGNED4K
BORE FEATUREINCLUDED
SHAFT SIZE FOR WHICH DESIGNED0 157/250 INCHES NOMINAL
PROTRUDING HUB CHARACTERISTICPLAIN
HUB END OUTSIDE DIAMETER AND LOCATION1 INCHES NOMINAL BB END
DISTANCE FROM OUTSIDE FLANGE/RIM TO HUB END AND LOCATION0 7/25 INCHES MINIMUM AA END AND 171/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM BB END
QUANTITY1
SURFACE TREATMENTNICKEL
STYLE DESIGNATORWEBBED OR SPOKED

CaryHenry

Ok, got the alternator on and bolted up.

Needed a slightly longer belt. Got a 4040365, but a 4040360 would've been better. 1/2" bottom bolt with grade 8 washers for spacing. 8 groove HD truck pulley. Everything seems to like up.

Now it's time to connect the wiring. I have four wires that look like they were connected to the old alternator. Any way to trace what goes where? Battery, exciter, ground and ?

IMG_20230705_204949407.jpgIMG_20230705_204956640.jpg