• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A as off grid solar backup

Sodamo

Had a productive day.
With some last minute telephone support from Peter at INOVA, I was able to finish install of my INOVA auto start panel. Peter had to assist me with the last connection from K8 with actually completes the power circuit and verify I wired in the relay from my Outback correctly. Once installed and tested I ran the wires from the Outback system. I installed this as a backup to my primary generator but am thinking I want to run regularly in rotation with my primary.
Here is the panel installed, my relay above it.
image.jpg

Here it is running

image.jpg

Here is is my manual transfer switch indicating it is the generator being controlled, is the generator producing power, and that power is going to my Outback system.
image.jpg

Shot of of my Mate 3 showing how much power being generated 7.9kw

image.jpg

Soooo, what does this mod do for me?
1. I can still run the MEP standalone.
2. My Outback can auto start/stop the generator according to preset parameters such as low voltage, state of battery charge, exercise schedule, or a must run schedule. And I can monitor, affect these parameters remotely on the web.
3. I can start/stop generator from the Outback control panel. Limited use unless combined with #4.
4. I can start/stop generator remotely from my iPhone, iPad, computer.
W
Would like to find more robust switches that connect the Outback, maybe even a single on-off-on. My original thought was that the switch and breaker be tied to stay in sync. Of course, ideally, I could switch those functions remotely, but likely beyond my expertise :)

So so now I have some tidying up. The next phase is to tie in the aux fuel line to my 125gal tank.

Last edited:

Sodamo

Had to make a change to my manual transfer switch. Replaced the slider type on-off-on switches with a more robust DTDP flip type. Added an LED to each side to indicate which generator is controlled by Autostart. Challenge in that the only time there was power in the box was when something was running. Proof of concept was a 9vdc battery, didn't last but a few days. I've tapped into one of my 4vdc batteries in my 48vdc bank. Such a low draw, .3watts I think shouldn't have adverse effect and the batteries are getting PV charge during the day
.image.jpg
still want to tie the breaker to the selector switch to keep in sync. Right now each is independent so possible to autostart the generator but not feed the power. The Outback is smart enough to sense this and shuts down the generator. Yep, I learned this by accident :)

Sodamo

Today was another major. Hooked up the Aux fuel line to my main, 125 gal tank.

Biggest challenge was finding the 5/16 flare fitting locally. Finally got one today at an Air/Hydro shop, 5/16 flare to 3/8 MPT. Had already installed a 3/4 tee after my tank filter so simple matter of 3/8 X 3/4 bushing. The military aux line is very nice. Mine appeared new, never been uncoiled. I was a bit concerned running the line from generator across about 4ft open spot over my concrete floor. No intentions of trenching. My simple fix was to run 20ft 3/4 Sch 40 electrical conduit from outside tank back into my generator and running the aux line inside. Not elegant but protective. Basically a foot traffic area between my to generator. Worst I could imagine would maybe running a hand truck over it.
Checking for leaks, but pretty sure what I'm seeing is from bleeding off the connection when I hooked it up.

Sodamo

Should have known that was too easy LOL.

Went out after posting above to find a puddle of diesel. Guess the good news is the aux fuel pump works, less than good is it didn't shut off so fuel was flowing from the tank filler neck. Guess a couple gallons, but don't know.
No idea how the shutoff works, some sort of float as I recall so have some researching to do. Of course any hints appreciated.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the fuel tank is a dual float switch setup. The lower float is for the low fuel light, the upper float is for the Aux Fuel Pump.
I suspect the upper float may be stuck in the down position and not rising up when the tank is nearly filled to shut off the pump.

Guyfang

Staff member
Open the fuel tank and roll up your shirt sleeve. Insert arm, unless you are man mountin dean, it will fit. Fish around with your arm/hand until you find the fuel float. Move the top and bottom floats up and down, making sure of the floats ability to travel up and down. Also feel the floats. Make sure they have not fallen off, been eaten up by JP-8 or turned to fairy dust. If you are man mountain dean, sweet talk someone you do not have to sleep next to, to do the dirty deed.

If if that doesn't fixit, remove the front panel. Unplug the float plug. Remove the float assy. Read the schematis. Test the float function with ohm meter. If it tests good, check the next component in the system. As I am sitting in the AFRCS hotel in Garmish Germany, unable to look at my TM's, I am unabl to tell you the name of the next component. But it's a box mounted on the right side of the fuel tank compartment, as you look inside. Next step should be the relay. Look at the schematics. Some of you guys give me a hand here. This blows, not having my TM's.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... But it's a box mounted on the right side of the fuel tank compartment, as you look inside. Next step should be the relay. Look at the schematics. Some of you guys give me a hand here. This blows, not having my TM's.

Item 10 below is the float switch. The upper float is for the aux pump operation.
The next components is A9 the Float Switch Module. Located here on wall by fuel tank.

Float Switch Module.JPG

Schematic from TM for Aux Fuel Pump

Aux Diagram.jpg

How to test the Float Switch Module

Float Module Test.jpg

How to test the Float Switch

Float Switch Test.jpg

Replacement Float Switch Modules are available on the big auction site. Search for 88-20492

Last edited:

jamawieb

Had a productive day.
With some last minute telephone support from Peter at INOVA, I was able to finish install of my INOVA auto start panel. Peter had to assist me with the last connection from K8 with actually completes the power circuit and verify I wired in the relay from my Outback correctly. Once installed and tested I ran the wires from the Outback system. I installed this as a backup to my primary generator but am thinking I want to run regularly in rotation with my primary.
Here is the panel installed, my relay above it.
View attachment 634490

Here it is running

View attachment 634496

Here is is my manual transfer switch indicating it is the generator being controlled, is the generator producing power, and that power is going to my Outback system.
View attachment 634497

Shot of of my Mate 3 showing how much power being generated 7.9kw

View attachment 634498

Soooo, what does this mod do for me?
1. I can still run the MEP standalone.
2. My Outback can auto start/stop the generator according to preset parameters such as low voltage, state of battery charge, exercise schedule, or a must run schedule. And I can monitor, affect these parameters remotely on the web.
3. I can start/stop generator from the Outback control panel. Limited use unless combined with #4.
4. I can start/stop generator remotely from my iPhone, iPad, computer.
W
Would like to find more robust switches that connect the Outback, maybe even a single on-off-on. My original thought was that the switch and breaker be tied to stay in sync. Of course, ideally, I could switch those functions remotely, but likely beyond my expertise :)

So so now I have some tidying up. The next phase is to tie in the aux fuel line to my 125gal tank.

Got a question, with your auto start system. How are you activating the ac interrupter to send current to the lugs? Does the Inova board do this or do you have to do a modification to send current to the lugs?

Sodamo

Thanks guys, sure do appreciate the help.

Hosted our retired military group for semi monthly meeting and lunch today. Kinda figured some of the ladies might not be appreciative of diesel essence in their meal.

Need to burn off some fuel as it is to the top. I just might decide to wait until I return from our trip as at least in present condition it can be used as emergency, which is important during my absence.

Sodamo

Got a question, with your auto start system. How are you activating the ac interrupter to send current to the lugs? Does the Inova board do this or do you have to do a modification to send current to the lugs?
I had that concern myself, but Peter got me straight. The board does take care of it and unloading for shutdown. As Peter told me there are various wiring configurations, the instructions don't show them all.

So far very happy with the board, but the sequence is a bit different from my commercial generator.

Sodamo

Jamawieb,
perhaps I should add that the Inova board still allows for independent start/stop which would require manual use of the interrupter switch.

Sodamo

A bit of egg on my face here :)

Seems I may NOT have a problem with the aux fuel overflow after all.
When the bottom of your 125 gal aux tank sits higher than the top of the generator tank and you plumb the line into wrong fitting, there may be a problem - GRAVITY. I plumbed my line into the tank drain fitting. Scouring the TM's it is amazing how little info is depicted re the aux fuel line hookup. The -10 has a reference to External Fuel Supply plate, Fig 2-16. Mine is painted black, nothing readable.
i switched my line from the drain to the connection next to the filler cap. Ran the gen a bit, but don't believe the aux pump activated. Haven't found a reference as to what level triggers the on function. But I do know the pump isn't stuck in "on" as tank didn't fill let alone overfill. It was only down a gallon or two. So other than flooding my concrete floor with a couple gallons of diesel I don't think any damage was done.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pump will cut in at roughly 5/8-3/4 tank and fill to about 7/8. I say roughly since its a float switch and there is a little variability. You can dig though the service manuals and find the specifications for the switches if you need more exact numbers.

It should put in around 3/4 of a gallon during a fill cycle.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
You have to take that with a grain of salt.

The actual float can be positioned higher or lower. The best practice would to sit there and start the unit with a full tank. Start siphoning it out and watch when the aux fuel pump kicks on. Look at your gauge, Watch when the aux fuel pump shuts off.

The little upper float is what tells the aux to go on or off. The whole assembly can be raised or lowered. Actually the TM says to insert it until it hits bottom and then raise it like a 1/4 inch. The second picture shows where it is on a MEP-802A. The MEP-803A uses one similar, but larger, since the tank is a different size and larger.
The pictures are for a MEP-802A, but you get the idea. :)
MEP-802 fuel level.jpg802a fuel tank.jpg

On all my units I have tested the aux fuel system for correct operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks