• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Auxiliary Fuel Tank Size and Fuel

csheath

What size auxiliary tank should I plan on getting for a MEP-803A? Never sure what length outage you may have but say we had a week long outage like the recent hurricane. I don't know how it affected diesel but the gas stations were running out before the hurricane actually struck then they ran out of power and couldn't pump any if they had it.

Between my tractors and cans I try to keep 40+ gallons on site I could siphon from if need be.

I have been running my tractors on regular low sulfur road diesel out of convenience. I can get some off road diesel but it says 15% bio diesel and states it is not low sulfur. Was reading the manual on my backhoe and it says to use at least #2 fuel with less than 1.6% sulfur. Not sure how that relates to normal PPM ratings listed. The book says nothing about bio diesel so I guess that wasn't available back in 2000 or isn't an issue. It just says not to use anything with ethanol content.

Is the fuel rating for a 2007 MEP-803A any different from earlier models?

Was looking at the steel tanks from Tractor Supply but reviews are not consistently good on those. I would like something that could be easily and legally transported and put in and out of my truck. Will probably have to have some forks or something to use on my loader.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are running a light/medium load you need to plan for 0.7gal/hr average.

Are you planning to run 24/7 or can you run during strategic times as needed?

Personally I have 40gal online at any one time.

Triton

I keep 2qty. 55 gallon drums of diesel on hand full to the brim during hurricane season and rotate it through the mowers and tractors to keep it fresh. The tractor can move them easily and I can barely get one in my truck.

csheath

I grabbed a free home heating oil tank, tons available as people are switching away from oil. Threw on a 2 micron filter and a nice pump. works great for ALOT more than the genset ;)

View attachment 656688
That would be great. I might look into whether anyone delivers diesel and seek one of those. I actually have one abandoned across the fence from my property that might be within reach of my backhoe boom but chances are better than not it's too cruddy inside to use.

lonesouth

Eli Roberts delivers and the ORD is about $1 less than normal. Not sure on the bio mix, if any. They may have a minimum requirement for delivery as well, not sure, but you can self serv at their place on Lake Bradford Rd. I've got a 75 gallon tank I need to clean up that I plan to us, and also a 50 gallon semi saddle tank I'm going to mount on the trailer with the second genset.

Last edited:

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eli Roberts delivers and the ORD is about $1 less than normal. Not sure on the bio mix, if any. I've got a 75 gallon tank I need to clean up that I plan to us, and also a 50 gallon semi saddle tank I'm going to mount on the trailer with the second genset.
I'm doing the jerry can shuffle right now, but am always on the lookout for better options. Don't have a fleet of diesels (yet) - so I don't want to store a large amount of fuel that wouldn't get used in a reasonable amount of time. The saddle tank on the trailer sounds interesting - please post pics when you're done!!

csheath

Yeah I called Eli and got a price of $2.17 delivered for 100 gallons for off road. That's not too bad. I didn't think to ask if there was any restrictions on what type tank I have to have or if they had any used for sale. I'm kind of getting my cart in front of my horse since I haven't even picked my unit up yet. May know better by this weekend if I got a runner or not.

I too have been keeping my equipment full and shuffling 4 five gallon cans.

From what I'm told it looks like I would need about 125 gallons on hand to run 24/7 for a week.

csheath

This is what I did... I have the day tank full plus about 45 gallons in the aux tank and another 20 gallons in Jerry cans. Plus another 20 in my truck if the tank is full.

View attachment 656746

More details on my 803 thread here if you are interested:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...(MEP-803a-amp-M116A3)-Followed-me-Home!/page6
That's a nice looking rig! I am also considering putting mine on a trailer or maybe even just putting axles on the frame to move it around on the property if needed. For now I imagine I will just clean a space under my shed I keep the little tractor and lawn equipment under since it's right by my power meter.

lonesouth

I saw one locally, for $60, a few month's ago, but it was upwards of 100 gallons.

This would be a good place to discuss the longterm storage of diesel. What products are a must have? Diesel Kleen, biocide, specific brands that could be found at wal-mart.

One other thing I'm going to add is an electric fuel pump set up on a timer to recycle the spare tank through a filter. I'll call it a poor man's fuel polishing system.

csheath

I'm not too worried about storage right now. Fixing to retire and have 5 acres of stumps to dig out with a NH 575E backhoe so I will be going through some fuel. A 100 to 250 gallon tank would suit me well since I now know i can get it delivered.

BUT from what I've read it stores much better than gas ever would and part of the rational for going this route over a much cheaper gas unit.

I guess a recycling unit with filter wouldn't hurt but I am going to try and do mine as simple and cheap as possible.

Firebrand

While it does last, you will want to use up your winter blend before the warmest months as you get less power from it. Consequently, your non blended fuel should be treated and/or used up before the coldest weather presents a gelling threat.