• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Brass terminal nut inserts.

Dispensamatic

My first experience with my MEP-803A.... I hook it up to my barn, tighten the 4 wires into the clamps, and when i loosen them a few days later, pieces go everywhere. the little clamp inserts inside the nuts all broke off where the nut pushed on the tip of the insert and broke the brass. this allowed the inserts to fall out of the nuts. I have 3 of these generators i was planing on using around the farm.
Are the inserts really even necessary?
Can i buy them somewhere, because i HAVE SEARCHED, to no avail.
I guess you do NOT tighten the nuts very much at all? I used the plastic wrench and really did not put that much force on it, but now that i see how they are made its a little flimsy.

csheath

If you can find a local source with a good selection of split bolt connectors it may match up with one about .982" OD. Check your local electrical supply.

You may have to buy the whole thing but I would probably just use a brass washer or something. Search that auction site for NSN: 5940-00-958-1214

Might could even stick a piece of copper tube under the nut.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
In a pinch, putting something under the nut works. And I will admit, several times it became permanent. Any seriously good army gen mech, had a stash of these things. The trick is to not over thighten them, and then LEAVE THEM ALONE. Resist checking them once a month. Resist getting them that last little bit tight. If you thighten them and they start to squeak, you are too tight. If you can not wiggle the clamped wire, it's good.

They are made of bronze, not brass. I will try and find some info on manufacturers. There is about 20, if I remember right. Also, put an add in SS. There are folks who have parts sets.

Oh, if you cross thread one, and get one tiny little sliver of bronze under your skin, it will drive you crazy. If you are lucky and can see it, that's easy. But if it's real tiny, I have often just cut out that patch of skin. Simply maddening.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part that csheath identified is whats in the -24P, and its the terminal stud, nut, and small retaining insert. They do not call out the nut/insert piece separate.

Bmxenbrett

I had one nut and insert missing from one set i got and contacted some company to get a replacement. Let me tell you, you want to be seated when they tell you the price. They wanted $149.97 each.

I ended up useing a normal split bolt nut and grinding down the insert to fit. Are you putting the insert on the nut side of the part and inserting the wire behind it?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That clip is to keep idiots from trying to put a wrench on the terminal post (when its energized).

Dispensamatic

I am AMAZED at the responses HERE! YOu guys are AWESOME! I also own a M998 I bought at Barrett-Jackson, (started my surplus bug), found govplanet, bought 1 MEP-803A (loved it), and then 2 more. Now have a 2001 M1043A2 purchased and waiting for approvals. Nice to know there is help available!

csheath

Just measured across the threads on mine and it measured .982". Doesn't seem to match any of the "S" dimensions in the chart LID shared so I am missing something.

If you have several units you plan to run in single phase only just rob the nuts off L2 and use them till your new ones arrive.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The S dimension is OD of the nut, not of the threads. Try measuring the nut, and see if you come up with 1.312 (I am assuming its flat to flat, versus point to point).

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes Triton, you are right. It simply keeps the nut from shuffling off to Buffalo.

But I must say, its about the most useless thing the Good Lord ever allowed humans to ever come up with, in the history of mankind. Totally useless. It was another useless reason to keep a large box of the terminals around the shop. The GD clips would fall off and then you could not find it. Then some stupid inspector would come along and deadline the set, because the stupid clip was missing. The CECOM answer to the problem was to every few years put a blurb in the PS magazine telling you how to manufacture your own clip. A lot of bending safety wire to get something that looked like a 6 year old had made it. Then you did not order a new post, just to get the clip. Would I worry about a missing clip? Heck no.

Oh, yeah. The army paid $14.96 for the post.
Below is a list of suppliers.

HOLLINGSWORTH JOHN R CO NUTT AND FRENCH CREEK ROAD 430PHOENIXVILLEPA19460UNITED STATES
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE PROJECTMANAGER-MOBILE ELECTRIC POWER 5850 DELAFIELD RDBLDG 324 FORT BELVOIRVA22060UNITED STATES
LIBBY POWER SYSTEMS LLC 35 SARGENT DR BETHANYCT06524-3135UNITED STATES
PENN-UNION CORPDIV PENN-UNION CORP 229 WATERFORD ST EDINBOROPA16412-2381UNITED STATES
DOSSERT CORP 260 PARKWAY E DUNCANSC29334-9489UNITED STATESFORMERLY DOSSERT MFG CORP BROOKLYNNY
ELECTRIC BOAT CORPDBA ELECTRO DYNAMIC 150 AVENEL ST AVENELNJ07001-1711UNITED STATES
ELECTRIC BOAT CORPORATION 75 EASTERN POINT RD GROTONCT06340-4905UNITED STATES
CECOM LR CENTER 10115 GRIDLEY RD SUITE 228 FORT BELVOIRVA22060UNITED STATES

AAEYTERMINAL LENGTH1.500 INCHES
AAJTOVERALL HEIGHT3.938 INCHES
AAJWOVERALL DIAMETER1.375 INCHES
AAKBTHRU-HOLE DIAMETER0.030 INCHES
AALALARGEST DIAMETER1.188 INCHES SINGLE END
AALDTURRET MINOR DIAMETER0.875 INCHES SINGLE END
AALVELECTRICAL INSULATION FEATUREUNINSULATED
AALXMOUNTING METHOD STYLESTUD
ABETTHREAD LENGTH0.040 INCHES
AGTABASIC SHAPE STYLENONTUBULAR, ROUND
ATGDMOUNTING THREAD SERIESUNC
CSFJCONDUCTOR ACCOMMODATION TYPESINGLE TURRET SINGLE END
MATTMATERIALCOPPER ALLOY CONDUCTOR ACCOMMODATION
MATTMATERIALCOPPER ALLOY MOUNTING FACILITY

I stand corrected. Its a copper alloy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks