• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A connected to Generac Automatic Tranfer Switch

snider

I have finally gotten around wiring up my generic transfer switch. I didn't want to have it 100% automatic and start on its own but simple enough for my family to use if im not home when the power goes out. so here is a video of my setup.

We have had a couple power outages before I was able to get the generator permanently placed. This is just a temporary setup until I get the pad setup.

http://youtu.be/Ak6KUFco5qw

gatorbob

Thanks for posting the video.

Was the manual switch you wired in required or just a preference? I ask because I don't know how the Generac switches work.

Do they have a controller inside that's monitoring the status of the utility and generator feeds and switching automatically? (assuming the utility goes out and the MEP has been started manually of course)

I don't recall if Generac was the brand that normally has the computer/controller inside the generator vs. in the switch itself.

snider

I did it this way to make it simple and for the low cost. Generac have their controller (brains) for the switch mounted in the generator. you can get a controller to make the switch 100% automatic and a 2nd controller to make the MEP 100% automatic (start, stop, monitor temps, oil pressure, ect). several $100 for each plus quite a bit of wiring.

There is a relay in the TS that is connected to the utility power. the transfer solenoids work off 240 power. so by default it will always switch to utility power unless 12v is applied to the transfer relay.

so yes if the power goes out, someone has to walk out and start the gen manually and then press the button on the TS. But when the power comes back on it will automatically switch to utility power. I wanted it this way so you don't have to keep checking to see if the power has come back on. the led lights just make it easier to tell what power is coming into the TS.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

How are they going to watch this if the power is out? Have you gone through the process in person with them?