• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a Crankcase full of fuel...

Spud_Monkey

It's the reason for new gasket set going in, maybe grab some new injectors along the line with the stainless steel nuts and bolts instead of the regular ones and Loctite to hold them it. I do go the extra mile. I have rebuilt engines and transmissions and my pet peeves go a long way when it comes to turning wrenches.

My newest vehicle is 21 years old here, gets 45 mpg and will spin the tires :driver:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it and who ever did it sucked at it. Some of the nuts and bolts are mismatched on the housing body and a lot of them are falling out over time I have to go buy some more nuts and bolts and just replace them all with stainless then Loctite them to ensure a clean job. Lot's of work to make this gen set right again, at least I got some use before it kicked over.
Howdy,

No Loctite is needed with the proper screws and nuts.

MEP-8xx stainless steel screw information

The screws with the lock washer K-Lock nut holds nicely.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently whoever reset this gen set didn't realize either it was aluminum or understand metallurgy on mixing metals they put regular zinc hardware in.
Howdy,
That is part of the problem. They did not use stainless steel hardware. I have replaced most screws and nuts. The newer units started using caged nuts. That really makes it easy not trying to hold a wrench up above the air filter. It also speeds up the time to take panels off and on.

RIVNUTS = are a great idea for replacement. The newer AMMPS generators all use rivnuts at all locations.

I would like to retire, but, it seems I am just tired. :) but working harder and longer each day

Ray70

Hello everyone, I'm just finishing up a similar problem with fuel metering pumps and thought I'd share my findings.
Got this 803A from GP, they said it wouldn't start and made it sound like the reason was that the fuel hoses, filter housings and fuel solenoid were missing. When it arrived I immediately noticed the exhaust flap missing and thought "Oh Crap!" bet there's water in the motor. So sure enough, water in the center 2 cylinders and engine is frozen.
Took it apart, honed cylinders, cleaned up the rings, lapped the valves and put it together.
Go to prime the injector lines and not getting fuel out of any lines. I noticed the fuel shut off linkage feels like its not doing anything so I pulled the metering pumps 1 at a time... the last one I pulled was frozen in the fuel off position.
When I went to reinstall, I had a finger down 1 pump hole to try to align the rack and just couldn't get any 1 pump to drop in without binding up the rack.
After reading this post, I went back, installed 1 pump and then tightened the holding clamp down. once the pump was seated, the rack moved freely.
The problem was just as the guys mentioned above. If the pumps are not fully seated, the linkage will hit the underside of the block, causing the rack to bind up.
Thanks to rhurey for the pictures, it may have saved me from pulling my hair out!
Now I just need to clean and install last 2 pumps, then try starting it again...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks