• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Cylinder Head Removal Question

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for anyone who has removed an LPW4 cylinder head..... I have read the Lister-Petter, as well as the military service manuals on engine teardown. They are both fairly detailed on the step by step process to remove the cylinder head, however neither one mentions removal of the water pump. It appears that the water pump mounts to the front of the head, so I think that must have to come off first - but don't want to tear down anything that isn't necessary.
Do they assume it's so obvious you should know it has to come off, or am I looking at it wrong??

jamawieb

Yes the water pump comes off and the adapter plate behind it. It faster to leave the black plastic shroud on the radiator and unbolt the water pump then lay it against the radiator until you pull the head off, then the pump can come out easily without the head in place. Just remember to slide the pump back, laying it against the radiator before you put the head back on. I also leave the intake and exhaust manifolds in place because it gives you something to hold on to.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tips - I've already pulled the manifolds, since that's what the manuals said. I may stick them back on since what you're saying makes sense. Also I think I'm going to torque the head bolts before I remove them to see whether they were properly done to begin with since it's a low time engine and blowing a head gasket wasn't on my radar. Some of the manifold bolts were definitely looser than others.
Thanks again....

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blew head gasket when load testing. Have put a hundred hours on it since I bought it two years ago- no issues until now. Shut it off less than a minute after it failed.

jamawieb

If it did blow, it won't help retorquing the bolts. Usually the sealing ring is damage and it can't be fixed without replacement.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there alot of rust between the head and block? Or was it just poor gasket manufacturing?
Haven't gotten it totally disassembled yet - engine looks near new from the outside - I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now, so hopefully can get it torn down the rest of the way next weekend. Since each of the intake and exhaust manifold bolts weren't torqued the same as their counterparts, I am going to check the torque on the head bolts before I pull it. It blew out the side of #1 cylinder on the right side (opposite of push rods). The gasket material around the rest of the head looks normal where visible.

novaman

From what i can recall when I first starting looking these things up 5 years ago head gaskets where an issue to be looked for.
Cant remember where I heard that from tho or if its credible.

Ray70

FYI, head gaskets are available on ebay for $15 probably a good idea to ask the seller to write "Do not Bend" on the package.
I bought a couple of them and on both occasions they came in the shrink wrap package with a piece of cardboard, inside a bubble package. The mail man figured it was OK to bend them to make it fit in my mailbox! That destroyed them....

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, head gaskets are available on ebay for $15 probably a good idea to ask the seller to write "Do not Bend" on the package.
I bought a couple of them and on both occasions they came in the shrink wrap package with a piece of cardboard, inside a bubble package. The mail man figured it was OK to bend them to make it fit in my mailbox! That destroyed them....
Ouch - thanks for the info - I saw them and decided to go ahead and get the full set since it comes with push rod bushings, manifold gaskets, etc. Fortunately, they didn't fold it into the mailbox.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our tax money at work!

Ray70

Yea, right? Best part was the seller sent me free replacements but managed to send 1 4cyl and 1 2 cyl gasket somehow. Since the 2 cyl. gaskets cost more I just kept them and ordered another 4 cyl. Wouldn't you know.... it got bent too!
I even told the guy to sandwich it between something stiff.... He didn't.....
3rd times the charm... so they say!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks