• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803a dropping loads

jmenende

Howdy. Im working on an mep 803a thats dropping loads for no reason. Im loadbanking it to 10kw amd it runs with no issued for about 8 mins and then drops the load. The idiot lights work but none turn on when the loads drop. Btw, the percent rated current is displaying 133% at 10kw but that may just be a faulty gauge. Any pointers?

Ray70

First thing I would do is exercise both the AM/VM switch on the control panel ( also try spraying some contact cleaner into the back of the switch first ) also exercise the AC select switch on the back wall inside the control cube.
The only thing that is odd is that typically you would get an over current or short circuit fault when the machine trips due to dirty switch contacts, but I would try it first anyway.

Guyfang

Staff member
Was no need for S6 to be cleaned, in relation to your original problem. It has nothing to do with output, other then to measure it. Still, didn't hurt anything. So good to go.

I think, getting the new style S8 would cure a lot of this type problem. Finding one that you can buy without robbing a bank is the main problem with that.

Ray70

Since it was a success I'm thinking you should drink a beer or 3 anyway, regardless of the brand! BUT, I have to agree... no fault lights is pretty odd for that failure mode.
If you have the ability, maybe you should overload it briefly just to ensure the fault panel is working correctly.
Pressing the button only tests the bulbs, who knows if the panel itself is working or not!

jmenende

Since it was a success I'm thinking you should drink a beer or 3 anyway, regardless of the brand! BUT, I have to agree... no fault lights is pretty odd for that failure mode.
If you have the ability, maybe you should overload it briefly just to ensure the fault panel is working correctly.
Pressing the button only tests the bulbs, who knows if the panel itself is working or not!
Will do, I can load bank up to 100kw. Btw, im a miller light guy. 😅

Guyfang

Staff member
1652178927812.png (y) (y)(y)
1652178955806.png(y)(y)(y)
1652178986889.png(y)(y)
1652179007769.png(y)(y)(y):wreckerman893:
1652179032184.png(y)(y):wreckerman893:
1652179126246.png(y)(y)(y)
There are several more. And all these come from Bamberg. There are at least 10 breweries in Bamberg. Maybe more. If some of you ever come over, There is a Beer Tour in Bamberg. Drink one beer in each Brewerie, and you get a certificate. Many have tried. Few make the grade!! There are over 700 breweries in Franken. What are you all waiting for?

jmenende

View attachment 867238 (y) (y)(y)
View attachment 867239(y)(y)(y)
View attachment 867240(y)(y)
View attachment 867241(y)(y)(y):wreckerman893:
View attachment 867242(y)(y):wreckerman893:
View attachment 867243(y)(y)(y)
There are several more. And all these come from Bamberg. There are at least 10 breweries in Bamberg. Maybe more. If some of you ever come over, There is a Beer Tour in Bamberg. Drink one beer in each Brewerie, and you get a certificate. Many have tried. Few make the grade!! There are over 700 breweries in Franken. What are you all waiting for?
Is the tour done on a gurney. Asking for a friend. 🤣

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may still have a problem with the fault monitor, wiring or K8. Dirty S6 and S8 contacts can cause false overloads to occur. Cleaning them stopped the false overload from occurring but the Fault monitor failed to display the fault when it occured originally. You may want to dig it if you want the fault monitor to display real overload occurrences in the future.
When K8 trips due to an overload and opens the contactor it also sends a signal to the fault monitor to cause the overload fault lamp to illuminate. A problem with K8, wiring or the fault monitor could cause this to happen.
The Test/Reset button on the fault monitor does not test the fault detection and fault latching function of the fault monitor. It only tests the lamps and resets a latched fault.

dav5

View attachment 867238 (y) (y)(y)
View attachment 867239(y)(y)(y)
View attachment 867240(y)(y)
View attachment 867241(y)(y)(y):wreckerman893:
View attachment 867242(y)(y):wreckerman893:
View attachment 867243(y)(y)(y)
I just might make that tour. My daughter and son in law are in Munich for at least a year and we will be visiting them soon

jmenende

You may still have a problem with the fault monitor, wiring or K8. Dirty S6 and S8 contacts can cause false overloads to occur. Cleaning them stopped the false overload from occurring but the Fault monitor failed to display the fault when it occured originally. You may want to dig it if you want the fault monitor to display real overload occurrences in the future.
When K8 trips due to an overload and opens the contactor it also sends a signal to the fault monitor to cause the overload fault lamp to illuminate. A problem with K8, wiring or the fault monitor could cause this to happen.
The Test/Reset button on the fault monitor does not test the fault detection and fault latching function of the fault monitor. It only tests the lamps and resets a latched fault.
The fault monitor has displayed the fuel and temp errors. Im gonna overload it today and see if it trips.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something that should be stressed about exercising the switches on these generators, especially for those who are inexperienced: BE SURE TO DO IT WITH THE GENERATOR OFF, not running.
This is true for S8 the Voltage/Phase reconnection switch.

S6 the AM/VM switch can be changed while the set is running though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks