• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803a dropping loads

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is true for S8 the Voltage/Phase reconnection switch.

S6 the AM/VM switch can be changed while the set is running though.
Yes, I agree, but one cannot go wrong by exercising any switch while cleaning with the set off.

I emphasize this more so for the benefit of those who might not be knowledgeable of the S8 switch. No harm done by adopting a blanket procedure for all switches with the set not running. :smile:

jmenende

Gonna load bank her today. Could not go to the shop in the last couple of days.
OK, after loadbanking her for a while, she would not trip easily. I could take her to 16kw and after a few mins she would drop the load but no overload light would come on. So its probably a bad fault panel. Im gonna leave it as is since it does it job of dropping the load just not turning on the light.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, after loadbanking her for a while, she would not trip easily. I could take her to 16kw and after a few mins she would drop the load but no overload light would come on. So its probably a bad fault panel. Im gonna leave it as is since it does it job of dropping the load just not turning on the light.
Would this be correct then to say that the frequent intermittent dropping / e-stop of genset was caused by dirty switches and the faulty fault indicator panel did not turn on the over current indicator light?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, no parts were replaced. Contact cleaner and the excersizing of the switches did the trick.
Thanks jmenende, we usually recommend replacing the Switches and the fault indicator panel (or having it repaired) since the switches basically have reached the end of their live.

Last edited:

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What can happen with the am/vm switch is that it can develop a slightly charred set of contacts internally, yet still make a connection. That slight char creates a tiny resistance. Current across that tiny resistance creates a voltage. That voltage plus the normal voltage generated by the current sensor is enough to tell the generator it is in overload and drop the load as one is increasing the load.
I fought that problem for some time.... 16 amps was the most I could get before a load drop. I found it when i measured the voltage across two terminals on the am/vm switch that were supposed to be connected together and got voltage across what should have been a dead short.
Replaced the switch and it works fine.

I never would have thought that the am/vm switch would cause a faux overload, but it makes sense if a high-resistance contact on the switch adds voltage to the overload sensing circuits. Overload circuit is just doing what it should.

If exercising the switch "cures" the problem, rest assured that it will be back.

Note that Steel Soldiers member "kloppk " pointed me in the right direction with a good block diagram of the am/vm switch.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks