• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A exhaust DPF mod?

Ray70

Run Biodiesel.... it has a different smell than diesel... Better yet, do a WVO conversion, your exhaust will smell like french fries and chicken fingers. rofl

justacitizen

Run Biodiesel.... it has a different smell than diesel... Better yet, do a WVO conversion, your exhaust will smell like french fries and chicken fingers. rofl
Ha Ha Ha WVO!!!! i remember back a long time ago i had a volkswagon diesel pickup and i used to get used french fry oil from the local burger joint. i would mix it about 50/50 with diesel. it did smell like "burger wind" i had to stop because it made me hungry.

Chainbreaker

DPF filters are the worst thing to ever happen to the diesel owner. There the best thing to happen to the diesel mechanic. ...
I agree 100% with that statement! Having a DPF on a diesel engine can lead to slow strangulation especially if you feed it the wrong diet of fuel (too high content of biodiesel) or consistently use the wrong oil in engine (high ash instead of low ash oil). Even with proper fuel & maintenance, it has to be run under sustained loads to properly heat up the engine & associated exhaust plumbing to do a proper DPF regeneration periodically. Thus adding a DPF to an engine that is not designed for one or that doesn't have the built in intelligence to care for the DPF would be a recipe for disaster in that particular engine.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree 100% with that statement! Having a DPF on a diesel engine can lead to slow strangulation especially if you feed it the wrong diet of fuel (too high content of biodiesel) or consistently use the wrong oil in engine (high ash instead of low ash oil). Even with proper fuel & maintenance, it has to be run under sustained loads to properly heat up the engine & associated exhaust plumbing to do a proper DPF regeneration periodically. Thus adding a DPF to an engine that is not designed for one or that doesn't have the built in intelligence to care for the DPF would be a recipe for disaster in that particular engine.
Agreed, and further I'll say this -

If a DPF were a good idea it wouldn't need laws mandating its use and prohibiting its removal....

Clearly it isn't a good thing, thus it requires coercion to get used.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the tune of $4k.... my DPF on my F350 needed to be replaced recently. This technology does not get my vote of approval.

dependable

If the houses in neighborhood are not dense front to back, maybe a down-turned pipe and a window fan running off convenience outlet might lessen the fumes that get into house. I prefer a turn down on my 802 over an exhaust flap, as it is less prone to rattle and still keeps melting snow out. I suppose one could incorporate a similar idea using the engine cooling fan, but would take more plumbing. This strategy is used on skid steers to keep operator out of the fumes, by blowing exhaust up out of operating area.

One thing I'll say about the DPF, I have one on my mini trac loader with a 37HP Yanmar, and the lack of fumes is nice when you have to work standing behind the stack. Glad I don't have any of that stuff on my trucks though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks