• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a Falls on its face under light load

jmenende

New to you machine? What, if any, filters or PM have you done? Any more details?
This is not my first rodeo with this model since I own a few. I have performed all filter and fluid changes (oil twice since it came out dark after a few hours of testing). I have a load bank available and can incrementally add loads. The issue is that the unit, set to 62 hz, starts loosing speed once it gets to 8kw and shuts down at 11kw and 58hz approx. Oil pressure drops to 20 psi. I have tested the temperature on the manifold and all are within 10 degrees of each other so fuel injectors seem to be fine. I even ran liqui moly diesel purge through the injectors just in case. I have added diesel cleaning additives to the fuel and the fuel pump is running strong after a run through the parts cleaner. The rack seems to be operating fine and no issues at shutdown. Light smoke starts showing after 8kw and ive let it run to eliminate wet stacking. The unit has 3200 hours on it, runs at about 175 degrees and does not overheat. Im thinking governor issue since its not reacting properly to the load and incrementing hz. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

jmenende

This is not my first rodeo with this model since I own a few. I have performed all filter and fluid changes (oil twice since it came out dark after a few hours of testing). I have a load bank available and can incrementally add loads. The issue is that the unit, set to 62 hz, starts loosing speed once it gets to 8kw and shuts down at 11kw and 58hz approx. Oil pressure drops to 20 psi. I have tested the temperature on the manifold and all are within 10 degrees of each other so fuel injectors seem to be fine. I even ran liqui moly diesel purge through the injectors just in case. I have added diesel cleaning additives to the fuel and the fuel pump is running strong after a run through the parts cleaner. The rack seems to be operating fine and no issues at shutdown. Light smoke starts showing after 8kw and ive let it run to eliminate we stacking. The unit has 3200 hours on it, runs at about 175 degrees and does not overheat. Im thinking governor issue since its not reacting properly to the load and incrementing hz. Thanks for the reply.
Update. Checked the oil pressure with an external gauge and it runs at 36-40 psi constantly even when ot craps out and shuts down. So its not due to oil pressure.

Last edited:

jmenende

Alright, I managed to solve the problem. So after checking everything (fuel rack and lift pumps included) I ended up pulling all 4 injectors and pop testing them. Turns out one injector was bad and this caused it to die under full load. What angers me is that I was so confident that injectors were fine since the manifold temps were all equal. Lesson learned.