• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a First Start and Fuel Leak

ELPasoTom

Finally got my two batteries and got it started. It fired right up very little smoke smooth running, however once it was running for 5 minutes or so I have what appears to be a fuel leak. I am not sure whether this is a head gasket issue or fuel return line weeping issue as has been documented here previously.

I posted two videos and two photos for those who are interested. One of the first start and a short second one with the leaking. Any comments suggestions are welcome. Getting ready for snow this week. Being at 9,000 feet has its own micro climate.

FYI the metallic rattling you hear on the first start is a bunch of metal brakets i had sitting on the trailer fender :D

IMG_2787.jpgIMG_2788.jpg

https://youtu.be/Qpe9Ur388Fs
https://youtu.be/5QFDONNwNn0

Guyfang

Staff member
Good chance it the fuel return line on top of the engine. Lots of threads in the forum about it. Most important, where to get hose to repair the leaks.

Where you live in el paso. I was there in 85-86 with Patriot. BUT I AM NOT A DUCKHUNTER!!

ELPasoTom

LOL. I'm on the west side near Redd and Reseler. Go back and forth between Ft. Bliss and Holloman AFB (Alamogordo, NM). I'm going to fire it up again to see if seepage is coming from the top of the engine or out the sides. I'm hoping someone here will recognize right away. I've already located the fuel line 3.5mm ID braided. I know some here like the DOT nylon but I'm just going to use the braided.

I'm assuming it's not safe to operate at temp with a load while it's leaking like this? :shrugs:

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, its not going to blow up, but its better to fix it first.

Its about the only thing that could leak that bad, from up top.

We lived on a street named Van Horn, I believe. At the time, it was real close to the edge of town.

Braided is good enough.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed in your second video on the first start attempt it failed to start. I think you released it from the START position too quickly. You need to keep it in START until it starts AND the oil pressure builds up. No harm in holding it in START for a few seconds longer if needed.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Yes, That is a leak from the fuel return line.
A few folks posted in that thread talking about other lines. The fuel return line is NOT DOT nylon.

It is 3.5mm braided line.

VW, Mercedes etc... diesel yellow stripe fuel return line. Fuel return line thread

Since the fuel return line runs along the top and all the tee's, you will need to take the top off and replace all the lines. Check also the line which then returns back to the fuel tank. That line doesn't seem to go bad as the others which are on top of and next to the hot engine. That will require you to take the front panel off and get to the fuel tank area. And, If you have that off, check the well nuts. (the rubber bushing where the lines go into the tank)

This thread with a bunch of info, MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts and the second post has a bunch of links to other important items.

ELPasoTom

Got video of fuel return line leaking

Ding, Ding, Ding... Daybreak got it.[thumbzup] I thought for sure it was a gasket. I already ordered the 3.5mm braided line.

If you ever wanted to see the fuel return actually weeping diesel fuel while running here it is.

https://youtu.be/cABU43qdpUY

ELPasoTom

I have finally received my braided fuel line. I have a question about the T connectors. I have read that occasionally they can break off but are relatively easy to source replacements, possibly irrigation connectors. Does anyone have the specifics regarding size and type of these T connectors?

Thanks again
Tom

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I do not think the drip irrigation ones will work. He made that statement thinking about the other lines. You would need to lean towards metric 3.5mm sized tee's. So, a quick one would be VW, Mercedes, Audi, etc... for metric sized tee's. I am sure you could find them out there.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guys,

I think you do not have to worry about them breaking. In fact, I never saw one broke. Missing, read that stolen, yes. But broken, no. The Cage Code shows Cummins Power Generation as the manufacture. Good place to start looking. Also, when I put the NSN into my browser, it came up with several suppliers. The NSN is:4730-01-357-8706

ELPasoTom

Are you sure they were stolen and not just mis-appropriated. Besides in the military isn't possession 9/10 of the law:mrgreen:

ELPasoTom

Guys,

I think you do not have to worry about them breaking. In fact, I never saw one broke. Missing, read that stolen, yes. But broken, no. The Cage Code shows Cummins Power Generation as the manufacture. Good place to start looking. Also, when I put the NSN into my browser, it came up with several suppliers. The NSN is:4730-01-357-8706
Well let me introduce you to a broken one...
IMG_2825.jpg

I'll go find a few of these just in case... Murphys law, I'm the only person in the world who has broken a tee aua

ELPasoTom

How to access fuel return line in the tank

So now that I'm into replacing these fuel return lines, some of which are only around 2" in length, the final leg leaves the engine and goes down and around the frame disappearing into the fuel tank. Once in the tank does it attach to anything? can it be pulled out and a new one "slid in" or must I access the tank somehow?

IMG_2826.jpg
Looking at TM 09247A/09248A-24/2 show a diagram of where they go but I'm looking for the best way to access that area. Side panel?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Look at my thread The Infamous well net info

The picture's show the piping coming to the fuel tank. Yes, you will need to take the front cover off. (lower half) to gain access to the area.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well let me introduce you to a broken one...
View attachment 654811

I'll go find a few of these just in case... Murphys law, I'm the only person in the world who has broken a tee aua

Its because you live in El Paso! The rare air, brilliant sunshine and low humidity.

Or in a youthful burst of energy, you simply yanked hard on a hose and broke it? That's it! As I am a harmless old man, I could never apply such brute force to the situation!

Or you broke it just to prove me wrong? (If I was off my meds, this would sound best!)

But I will have to admit, a missing fitting, might suggest that someone ELSE had broken one, and removed the one from the sets I worked on.

Nice picture though.

Enjoy the warm weather Tom!!

ELPasoTom

OK Gen is purring like a kitten so far. Two questions for our resident MEP-803a experts (remember "ex" is a has-been, and "spurt" is a drip under pressure).

1. The fuel return lines are done. What do you recommend for these other four rubber fuel lines... type of hose, what's behind that metal collar?, etc...

2. Now for the Electrical part. I am in no way, shape, or form comfortable with electricity. I can follow directions, read basic schematics, and make sure not to electrocute myself, but I want to make sure the connection is correct for my situation. Here are some photos of the box (transfer switch) that my existing 7kw gas gen is attached. I want to run 120/240v single phase to this box which feeds my entire house. I can manage individual loads from the breaker box there.

So from reading other threads here and the manual I see that I want to run L1 and L3 and Neutral correct?? Now where each one goes in the box I'm guessing similar to what is already there... also I understand I will NOT need to pound in a ground rod for this application. There is 12/4 wire now which I will replace with THWN-2 6AWG wire. Should I run individual strands or get something like a 6/3 or 6/4? Will run from MEP-803 via conduit underground about 5 feet to box (total wire run about 10-12ft).

So again, I appreciate the input from that have been there and done that.

Tom
Powerlines.jpgIMG_2844.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks