• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
So, 20 minuets into running at 50% load again, I noticed quite a bit of smoke. Oil pressure was just above 20psi... very low.

Shut it down, and after a few mins, check the dipstick. You can barley see any on there. This did happen yesterday, but I did not notice the oil pressure. This morning, as I said above, the level was fine.

From all the blow by, is it keeping the oil so disturbed in the case, that the pump isn't picking enough up?

Looks like I will be pulling it apart! :ROFLMAO:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't mention the hours originally, I'm sorry. ~4,700 on the meter. There's not nearly that much wet stacking goo at all, but some. I am going to make another post with some pictures here now.
Oh dang that doesn't look bad at all then...that pic is of mine when I got it at like 150 hours..yeah with 4700 hours you might have some mechanical issues like stuck or even a broken ring...especially since it might be eating oil...any in the coolant by chance? At least it makes power but might need to run a bit lower load to see if a ring etc loosens up. Might have a rebuild on your hands.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Oh dang that doesn't look bad at all then...that pic is of mine when I got it at like 150 hours..yeah with 4700 hours you might have some mechanical issues like stuck or even a broken ring...especially since it might be eating oil...any in the coolant by chance? At least it makes power but might need to run a bit lower load to see if a ring etc loosens up. Might have a rebuild on your hands.

Yeah, it looks like it!

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
So, I'm a little disappointed that it seems there is no adapter out there to pull and injector & do a compression test? Looked in the TM's and the Lister & Petter manuals... nothing in there for even doing the test on the LPW's, let alone the special tool. Just the 18.5-1 ratio. I'd like to test it to confirm before just ripping it apart. But I guess it is what it is. I read that people made their own, but I don't know I want to do that. I'm not a great welder.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I'm a little disappointed that it seems there is no adapter out there to pull and injector & do a compression test? Looked in the TM's and the Lister & Petter manuals... nothing in there for even doing the test on the LPW's, let alone the special tool. Just the 18.5-1 ratio. I'd like to test it to confirm before just ripping it apart. But I guess it is what it is. I read that people made their own, but I don't know I want to do that. I'm not a great welder.
Any chance you can do a leakdown on it with a couple "adapters"?? Get more out of that then a compression anyhow.

justinn

So, 20 minuets into running at 50% load again, I noticed quite a bit of smoke. Oil pressure was just above 20psi... very low.

Shut it down, and after a few mins, check the dipstick. You can barley see any on there. This did happen yesterday, but I did not notice the oil pressure. This morning, as I said above, the level was fine.

From all the blow by, is it keeping the oil so disturbed in the case, that the pump isn't picking enough up?

Looks like I will be pulling it apart! :ROFLMAO:
If you used a quart of oil in 20 minutes of run time, there is definitely something amiss! If it's not leaking out, and your coolant isn't black, then as you deduced, it's most likely in the ring set. Does anyone make an adapter for the glow plug hole to check compression?

Justin

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
If you used a quart of oil in 20 minutes of run time, there is definitely something amiss! If it's not leaking out, and your coolant isn't black, then as you deduced, it's most likely in the ring set. Does anyone make an adapter for the glow plug hole to check compression?

Justin
The oil settles back out after a while of it sitting & cools down.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Colt, buy a good compression tester, with adapters. As often as you work on different stuff, you should have one.
If I knew for sure a set like the Harbor Freight Tools one had an adapter that worked for the generators, I would. But I think so far everything I have worked on would not have been able to work. Maybe someone here knows better? I don't mind investing in tools I will use!

justinn

The oil settles back out after a while of it sitting & cools down.
oh. so it could be a stuck/bad compression ring causing crankcase pressure and preventing oil from draining from the head. A compression test would reveal that, but maybe think about running some seafoam and ATF in the crankcase(along with oil, of course) for half an hour under no load, change the oil, and see if it loosens up. I had a very low hour 803 that had a stuck ring(from the time I got it fired up), and that concoction was able to loosen everything up and get it running tip top(I think it was a ~70 hour 2009 non reset unit.... it looked brand new).

Justin

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
oh. so it could be a stuck/bad compression ring causing crankcase pressure and preventing oil from draining from the head. A compression test would reveal that, but maybe think about running some seafoam and ATF in the crankcase(along with oil, of course) for half an hour under no load, change the oil, and see if it loosens up. I had a very low hour 803 that had a stuck ring(from the time I got it fired up), and that concoction was able to loosen everything up and get it running tip top(I think it was a ~70 hour 2009 non reset unit.... it looked brand new).

Justin
I added some already. Didn't say it explicitly, but I was hoping that would do the trick in Post #11. I didn't run it with only ATF though. Maybe that would do the trick. Might be worth a try before ripping it apart.

Guyfang

Staff member
I had one that I forgot about, turns out. Got it for testing the Yanmar L-series motors. I still need to figure out an adapter. Ahh, I'm getting to the point to where I forget tools that I have...
Once a month, or so, I open all the drawers and boxes. Look in, to make sure I still remember what is still in them! Just wait till you get old!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Once a month, or so, I open all the drawers and boxes. Look in, to make sure I still remember what is still in them! Just wait till you get old!
What you need is a wife that wants to help you.
By reorganizing your stuff for you...
:)

I solved that problem about 30 years ago.
Or she solved the problem and I didn't argue her decision

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoy your videos. I think I have watched them all from years past. Just curious as to how long you loaded it at 50% before you think it might need a rebuild? If this sat a long time it could take many hours to get the rings or valves happy again. I know you want to check compression, which is fine, but a leakdown test will give you what you really need. Also how accurate is that heat gun that far away from target point? I am thinking that one you have has a laser pointer on it but not sure if it is more accurate up close vs 3 feet away or so. I haven't had one with a pointer so just curious. Case looks great considering a tree fell on it!

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I enjoy your videos. I think I have watched them all from years past. Just curious as to how long you loaded it at 50% before you think it might need a rebuild? If this sat a long time it could take many hours to get the rings or valves happy again. I know you want to check compression, which is fine, but a leakdown test will give you what you really need. Also how accurate is that heat gun that far away from target point? I am thinking that one you have has a laser pointer on it but not sure if it is more accurate up close vs 3 feet away or so. I haven't had one with a pointer so just curious. Case looks great considering a tree fell on it!

I didn't get to say this much in the video because I tried it after all the recording was done... but it is above somewhere. I ran it to the point the oil pressure was so low I didn't want to cause other damage. Could I keep cycling it like that? Sure. I'd say in total, it ran for 1-1.5 hours broken up. It seems the more I run it, the worse it gets. I don't want to cause more damage.

A leak down test could be done as well. Saw in the TM how to make the little setup they suggested.

The digital thermometers are pretty good no matter the distance to be honest. As long as nothing is obstructing it.

Thanks for watching the videos! I try to find a balance of keeping good information but not making it drag out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks