• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Generator won't start ..

Chitangi

Ok recently purchased this generator off gov and all fluid were drained .I put the oils,coolant,new batteries and fuel to their appropriate level.i turned the knob and nothing is showing on the gauges,tried the inside switch ,the motor only turned and almost run with starting fluid ..I know bad idea .But anyway I have no idea were to end start from and hopefully someone can direct me in the right direction ...I knew I would out in some work to get it to run but hopefully it's nothing too wild ! Thanks for you help .Any information is appreciated.IMG_20200810_153036.jpgIMG_20200810_153052.jpgIMG_20200810_153011.jpgIMG_20200810_153015.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you buy it not running like mothballed or in storage mode? If so you gotta get the deisal purged of air before it'll start...I'm assuming it turns over normally...I got mine that way and it took a little play time to get it purged.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bobs461

Listen for the fuel pump... it should produce a ticking sound. Then crank away. Look for smoke = fuel entering the cylinders. Hopefully it will start right after.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see the pics in the original post...the dead switch has to be in the normal position...then you should hear the fuel pump clicking once you turn the main switch to start...I'd be curious too that the shut off push button switch is missing...not sure if that will run without it.

nextalcupfan

I noticed your emergency stop switch is completely gone. I know if it's pushed in it cuts DC power to the panel, maybe if it's missing it won't send power either.

If that's the case we just need to bypass it.

Chitangi

I didn't see the pics in the original post...the dead switch has to be in the normal position...then you should hear the fuel pump clicking once you turn the main switch to start...I'd be curious too that the shut off push button switch is missing...not sure if that will run without it.

I'm basically getting no power from the main switch and all control are dead flat..I was only able to turn the motor from the inside dead crank switch

Chitangi

Did you buy it not running like mothballed or in storage mode? If so you gotta get the deisal purged of air before it'll start...I'm assuming it turns over normally...I got mine that way and it took a little play time to get it purged.

No actually it probably mothballed ...was a decent deal on govplanet ..so i took the bait.

nextalcupfan

I wouldn't recommend randomly linking wires. Put the dead crank switch in Normal and see if you get power at the panel.

If not check for power on one of the hanging wires. If you have 24v on one and not the other it's possible that linking will work.
But you should really trace the wires to see where they are going.

Chitangi

I noticed your emergency stop switch is completely gone. I know if it's pushed in it cuts DC power to the panel, maybe if it's missing it won't send power either.

If that's the case we just need to bypass it.
well I merged the two wires on the emergency shut off and got some power finally to the panel and now trying to prime and hopefully it start will keep you posted

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so if you put the switch down it won't turn over with the outside start switch and no fuel pump clicking? I just checked my push button emergency shut off switch...with it pushed in the off position there's no con...with it pulled out running there is...so those 2 wires coming out where the switch should be need connected...try that and put the switch in normal and see if the fuel pump runs.

Chitangi

i finally hear the fuel pump ..and the dash is light omehow I was able to trun the motor from the main switch..im thinking airlock at this point trying to purge now ..any ideas would be appreciated.

nextalcupfan

I checked the schematic, S17 (Emergency Stop Button) does simply make or break those 2 Wires. So bridging them is perfectly fine, just make sure they can't short out on the panel.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have work ahead of you, before you really should start worrying about if it runs. Quad fuse, sure... have you looked at any of the other wires or connections? If the emergency switch is missing, there is no telling who touched what. You really should replace it for starters. Here is what you need: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/idec-corporation/ayw401-r/70172557/

Get yourself a tall can of good contact cleaner, take the roof panel off the set (above the controls) and check all the connections, deoxidizing while you go. When doing this, you can retighten all connections, check for rodent hotels, etc. I don't think you should be concerned about starting it until you get into the set more.

Chitangi

I think you have work ahead of you, before you really should start worrying about if it runs. Quad fuse, sure... have you looked at any of the other wires or connections? If the emergency switch is missing, there is no telling who touched what. You really should replace it for starters. Here is what you need: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/idec-corporation/ayw401-r/70172557/

Get yourself a tall can of good con

tact cleaner, take the roof panel off the set (above the controls) and check all the connections, deoxidizing while you go. When doing this, you can retighten all connections, check for rodent hotels, etc. I don't think you should be concerned about starting it until you get into the set more.
Great help much appreciate ..still digging in today I was able to pick up some fuses and and fuse block from fuseco some company Norcross ga .I ordered some blue discs yesterday which should be getting help sometime weekend.I will be taking the cover off and look around per your recommendation and forget trying to start if for now until I have all the pieces in place ..thanks again.IMG_20200812_125414.jpgIMG_20200812_125417.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to get the TM's out and read. The first three steps in the -10 TM trouble shooting guide for "WILL NOT START", read:

"Place the Dead Crank switch, (S10) in the normal position."
"Check the the DC control circuit breaker, (CB-1) is pushed in"
"Check the the emergency switch (S17) is out"

The S17 is the emergency off. Without any contact there, its not going to work.
Had you read that and performed the steps, you would have saved yourself about a million messages. There is a good reason for the troubleshooting diagram.

RTB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks