• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a high idle

P32pac

Hi all and thank you ahead of time for any help you can give me. Just picked up a low hour mep-803a and did the usual maintenance on it. Started right up and I noticed some fuel leaks. It was just some loose injector bolts. I did buy some new fuel lines as well and will replace them. However when it runs it seems to be running way faster then 1800 rpm. I tried the hertz adjustment but seems to do nothing. I even changed the factory stops and no change. The hertz meter is reading 65, pinned and once in a while it goes lower but right back up again. It smokes quite a bit as well. I have put seafoam in the tank as well as some have mentioned. Just don’t want to let it run for very long under the circumstances because it heats up pretty quickly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thx again.

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi all and thank you ahead of time for any help you can give me. Just picked up a low hour mep-803a and did the usual maintenance on it. Started right up and I noticed some fuel leaks. It was just some loose injector bolts. I did buy some new fuel lines as well and will replace them. However when it runs it seems, (don't guess, test) to be running way faster then 1800 rpm. I tried the hertz adjustment but seems to do nothing. I even changed the factory stops and no change. (Before changing any factory settings, its best to read the book and test first. I would suggest returning the setting back to where they were before you fooled with them. Then you can start to troubleshoot) The hertz meter is reading 65, pinned and once in a while it goes lower but right back up again. It smokes quite a bit as well. I have put seafoam in the tank as well as some have mentioned. Just don’t want to let it run for very long under the circumstances because it heats up pretty quickly. (Normal operating temp is 180-190. So how high is it?) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thx again.
Open you dialog field to see questions and answers.

Have you downloaded the TM's, and read the operators TM?.

P32pac

Yes I have downloaded all the Tm’s and yes I have tried to adjust the frequency control. It moves the adjuster but it doesn’t change the idle at all.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you able to push in the center button on the throttle control, and push the whole knob assembly inward? Yes it rotates to fine tune the hertz, but the inward movement (when unlocking this knob) will make the machine drop down to the low end of the idle setting (your other stop). Would be interesting to see what the machine does then. I would not run it at this lower RPM for long, but what does it do? Care to take a photo of the mechanism which the frequency control cable hooks into?

P32pac

It has moved from one stop to the other and it doesn’t change the idle. I will take a picture when I can. Thx

P32pac

I understand it needs to run at 1800 but I can’t get the frequency to move with the frequency knob. I don’t want to hook it up to my entire house at 65 hertz I don’t want to damage anything.

Ray70

P32pac, so that I understand correctly are you saying you can move the throttle through the full range of motion on the lever where the cable attaches and the engine speed does not change at all?
If so it sounds like you have a problem inside the governor assembly. You also said it smokes a lot. This could also be an indication of a problem with either the governor assy. and/or fuel rack / metering pump system.
I assume the machine shuts off ok when you turn the switch off? if so that would lean me more towards a problem with the governor assembly, since it indicates the fuel rack and pumps are moving correctly.
If you haven't already done so, I would also get a 2nd method of verifying engine speed (HZ) incase your meter is also not working correctly.
Something like a DMM with Hz setting or a Kill-a-watt meter from Home Depot works well.

Ray70

You are correct, don't ever hook up to you house until the machine is fully tested, repaired and you know it's working correctly and reliably.
Use something else to test with like heat guns, an old oven, portable heaters etc.

P32pac

I did test with 2 heat guns but the frequency did not move at all. Not much of a load but something. I think its an issue with the governor as well. I really don’t want to let it run for to long either because the temperature starts to go pretty high. Is the governor something that can be serviced or just replace??

P32pac

Ray70. If you watch my video it shows that it does not shut off right away and I mention that in the video.

Ray70

Looks like your video did not get posted, I just see an empty post with no attachment.
As for the governor, it has to be serviced. It's a series of weights and springs inside the timing cover, near the throttle linkages.
You'll need to pull the timing cover and crank pulley to get in there, but space might be too tight to see what's going on, so pulling off the whole radiator and housing will probably make things 100X easier.
If it isn't shutting down properly, plus the overheating and smoke are all indications that you are getting too much fuel for the speed / load of the motor.
Try reposting the video so I can get a look.

Bmxenbrett

Injection pumps bolts found loose, black smoke when running and wont shut off right away...you have to much fuel because someone clocked the injection pumps wrong.

I cant remember how to find tune them but I'm sure the TM will tell you. Its a simple adjustment and nothing to worry about.

P32pac

Not sure about the video it was a link to my youtube p32pac1 if you want to go there to check it out. Couple of good ideas I will look into them.

Guyfang

Staff member
Please do this. Take a video of the gov linkage, while someone else starts and 30 sec later, turns it off. Tell that person, loud enough for us to hear it, when to turn off the S1. I want to see if your linkage is adjusted right. And please turn the screw back to where they were before you adjusted them.

P32pac

Ok I will do that before I do anything else. I didn’t want to move the set screws at all but I had to rule something out. Thx.

reset2

From listening to other 803 machines your is defently over speeding. I would also recomend to check the Hz with another measuring instrument. Bmxenbrett has my vote on the injector pump miss timed. But Im sure once you get the information Guy needs he will solve the mystery. Congrats on your new machine (big boy toy). By the way did you purchase at GP or local.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks