• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A in storage 14+ years

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gauge on the genny is calibrated for a 0.8 power factor. It will read low on restive loads such as your oven. Your real load was likely closer to 80%.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appears my oven setup will use about 3800w per unit, when the broiler is on high... so I was pulling about 5kw in the bake setting between the two. I think the gauge was pretty close to reality, as the only other high draw was probably the range hood. Everything else is LED bulbs and overhead fans. I dont think we have a huge draw constantly, like some folks with ACs going and heat pumps, etc. I wouldnt even use both ovens in a power backup situation, which is why I think an 802A might be a better unit for typical power needs. Oh, and half the fuel draw is nice too.

Chrispyny

Appears my oven setup will use about 3800w per unit, when the broiler is on high... so I was pulling about 5kw in the bake setting between the two. I think the gauge was pretty close to reality, as the only other high draw was probably the range hood. Everything else is LED bulbs and overhead fans. I dont think we have a huge draw constantly, like some folks with ACs going and heat pumps, etc. I wouldnt even use both ovens in a power backup situation, which is why I think an 802A might be a better unit for typical power needs. Oh, and half the fuel draw is nice too.
This is why i have an 802a. Half a gallon per hour, my heat is natural gas hot water baseboard supplemented with a 3 year old jotul wood stove which draws 76 watts for the blower at full blast, my hot water is natural gas as is my kitchen stove.

Unfortunately my house doesn't have a/c at present.I will be installing 2 mitsubishi mini splits this spring, one for each side of the house. But they are inverter type technology so they rarely draw full rated amps unless i've turned them on high when the house is sweltering. Comsidering these gensets are underrated (albeit not as much as the older 002a and 003a gensets) my needs are fullfilled perfectly with my 802. In an absolute worst case senario, i can always turn off the mini splits to one side of the house. I however can't mathimatically see how that would ever happen. I have LED's in over half the bulbs in the house and am slowly working on going 100% as each compact flouresent kicks the bucket.

In a SHTF senario, fuel efficiency is most critical to me.

JRM

Yup, a rule of thumb should be NG=802A and people with electric heat or water heater= 803A as my wood stove is cold by morning so getting ready for work requires 2 space heaters, electric water heater and 2hp well pump that easily puts the 803A over 10kw

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is why i have an 802a. Half a gallon per hour, my heat is natural gas hot water baseboard supplemented with a 3 year old jotul wood stove which draws 76 watts for the blower at full blast, my hot water is natural gas as is my kitchen stove.

Unfortunately my house doesn't have a/c at present.I will be installing 2 mitsubishi mini splits this spring, one for each side of the house. But they are inverter type technology so they rarely draw full rated amps unless i've turned them on high when the house is sweltering. Comsidering these gensets are underrated (albeit not as much as the older 002a and 003a gensets) my needs are fullfilled perfectly with my 802. In an absolute worst case senario, i can always turn off the mini splits to one side of the house. I however can't mathimatically see how that would ever happen. I have LED's in over half the bulbs in the house and am slowly working on going 100% as each compact flouresent kicks the bucket.

In a SHTF senario, fuel efficiency is most critical to me.
Very similar boat... newer wall hung propane furnace with propane Superstor hot water tank, propane range with overhead hood, 4 year old Jotul wood stove (no blower though). Fuel efficieny is paramount in a bad situation, so we are tracking close there. I have a Tier 2 MEP-002a here that I need to get running... probably what I am going to keep (and maybe upgrade to an 802a if one comes up for sale close enough).

dependable

I can run the house almost as normal with a 002 or 802. Can run water pump, laundry, oil fired boiler for heat & water, dishwasher, multiple freezers and a window rattler or two no problem. Have replaced almost all my light bulbs with Cree LEDs. Propane cloths dryer and cook stove, helps, if running those in electric or if I really needed AC, an 003 or 803 would be a better choice.

Also running about 3 cords though the Jotul. The oil tank for boiler is a good diesel supply for gen.

I also have a 003, and want an 803, besides 002s and 802, but I may be a little afflicted with green generator syndrome.

The "5KW" MEPs can run the house fine, and I like the idea of .5 gallons fuel per hour under full load.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks