• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Injection Pump sticking

Ray70

Good advice Guyfang. You need the TM for reference, pictures and descriptions are invaluable.
The fuel rack is the long stamped steel bar that sits inside the engine block, just under the metering pumps.
It connects the governor and fuel stop lever to the arms on the metering pumps.
It is spring loaded and has a notch under each pump to accept the pin on the end of each pump's lever arm. this is what controls fuel volume per stroke.
Because it is spring loaded and not directly fixed to the exterior throttle lever, ( in the "On" position ) if one of the pump's lever arms is frozen, the throttle and fuel shut-off levers on the outside of the engine will still appear to be moving correctly but the fuel rack inside the motor can be stuck in the off position.
It is only engaged by springs that push the fuel rack "ON" and a mechanical lever arm that pulls the rack back to "off" when the solenoid is disengaged.
Grab the TM here on this site and locate the pictures and you will then understand completely.

HyaliteHeavy

I have checked the three TMs that I have downloaded from GMG but I was unable to find any reference to the "fuel rack". With your explanation Ray70, I know understand the apparatus that people have been referring to. I wasn't able to get beyond the "3-12 BLEEDING/PRIMING FUEL SYSTEM" because I didn't find any further indication of steps to take if I did not have fuel pumping from the delivery valve holder. I've now been guided to the observation that my injector pumps are not pumping and I've started the process of cleaning as described by jamawieb, Ray70, and DieselAddict. Thanks, boys. I'll be in touch.

majoday

The pumps are very simplistic and I've had several apart to clean them. Try carb cleaner as mentioned above and then spray with wd40. If they continue to be hard to move then they are not put back together correctly. Take it back apart and reassemble.
How do you know the piston is not going to the bottom of the stroke? The large spring on the bottom of the pump holds the piston down and when that spring is comprised by the cam is when it sends the piston upwards, which pressurizes the fuel and sends it to the injectors.
How do you go about taking injection pumps apart. I pulled #1, very rusty body, but the part in the block is pristine.
I sprayed carb cleaner on it. I removed a keeper spring, not the bottom spring, to have a look. The fit is very good, if the piston is that narrow part with the machined cuts in the top. Any suggestions would be welcome. The gen set was contaminated by really bad fuel. I have cleaned the lines. I have cleaned the body on a wire wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks