• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Long time reader first time poster

MADDOG29

Good Afternoon everyone,

Thank you for all the good information that all have contributed I just purchased and 803A with 111 original hours on it. It is wet stacked so first thing is getting it cleaned out by running it loaded.
I already ordered the Fuse mod to install on the unit and am working on ordering spare filters and belts.
I am not new to diesel gens but new to these. I could of missed the post if so I apologize but what electrical components should I keep as spares.
Also are there any parts that are hard to find for these that I should keep as backup.

Also has anyone every installed a block heater just a small 120volt bottle style for use when its colder out to help gen start easier.
Once I get it home and setup the way I want I will get some pictures posted. Thanks all

MADDOG29

I can not see you needing a block heater. Maybe in Alaska.

There are several threads about what parts to have on hand. EVERYONE, has his own opinion about that. So spend a little time going through those threads. I am sure someone will jump in here to comment.

Welcome to the Forum!

Only reason I was asking about the block heater was all the liquid cooled gens I ever serviced all had block heaters but they also didn't have glow plugs for help starting in the cold. Thank You

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only reason I was asking about the block heater was all the liquid cooled gens I ever serviced all had block heaters but they also didn't have glow plugs for help starting in the cold. Thank You
I am north of you in Pa and haven't had a problem starting mine at all. They have very good glow plugs. Since they sit most of the time and when you do run them you run them hard they start pretty easy. I do have a charger for my batteries that I have plugged in all the time. It's a basic 10 amp dual battery setup. As far as spare parts I don't think you can get enough, but I'm weird. I got tons of fuel that I wash every couple months and use additives. I keep the tanks under cover out of the sun that might help. Humidity is bad! There's threads on adding a dessacant to the air inlets. Probably change the fuel lines and check the fuel outlet/inlet they like to leak too.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look on the Operating Instructions riveted to the machine's flip up gauge cover, you will see the Normal Start procedure calls out as being for down to -25F. Similar good information about the Service Instructions will be found there too (what oil and coolant to run based on ambient operating temperatures).

MADDOG29

Thanks everyone yeah one day I will get another but for now this one will have to do

I have a smaller gas unit as a backup for now once I get my shop build I will definitely get another complete unit in the mean time will look for a parts unit.

Cheers everyone

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it’s wet stacked as you wrote earlier, I would recommend that you run the unit much longer and close to 100%.

Get it cleared out now before you actually need it.

I do not own one of these, but have read in old threads about guys actually needing the generator and it’s so wet stacked that it can’t come close to producing rated power even though the engine runs great.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great you got it going good! Just a thought since I mounted mine on wood too. I cut old tires sidewalls into rectangles to fit under the genset since it vibrated on the wood so much. Could feel it everywhere. That tire stuff stopped the drone vibration that drove me nuts.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

MADDOG29

If it’s wet stacked as you wrote earlier, I would recommend that you run the unit much longer and close to 100%.

Get it cleared out now before you actually need it.

I do not own one of these, but have read in old threads about guys actually needing the generator and it’s so wet stacked that it can’t come close to producing rated power even though the engine runs great.
Yeah I definitely need to run it longer with load on it time has been the issue. Since I’m stuck home today with the crappy weather I plan on switching house over to gen for good part of the day and in my house the dryer never stops running so that will keep it at almost 100% load.

MADDOG29

That's great you got it going good! Just a thought since I mounted mine on wood too. I cut old tires sidewalls into rectangles to fit under the genset since it vibrated on the wood so much. Could feel it everywhere. That tire stuff stopped the drone vibration that drove me nuts.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I had some olde rubber fire hose I put under the skids to combat that issue now only drone is the strap I hung the exhaust with. Might switch to all thread and pipe hangers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks