• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Low EGT on 1

dbrads

Fresh fuel
New filters
New electric fuel pump
4 new injector pumps from Lister Petter
Been sitting for an unknown amount of years.
Got it running quite well however EGT on #1 is about 100 deg F lower than the other 3 when running at about 30% load and coolant is 175 deg F. Exhaust is very clear. No blowby out of the oil fill. Thought it was the injector on #1 so I replaced just that one and it was pretty sooted up. Replacing it did not make much difference. If I apply more than about 40% load, it dies. No exhaust smoke when it dies. Any suggestions or does it just need ran for hours to clean itself up?
Adjusting the throttle does speed up the engine so I belive I got all of the injector pumps in the slots.

dbrads

Fresh fuel
New filters
New electric fuel pump
4 new injector pumps from Lister Petter
Been sitting for an unknown amount of years.
Got it running quite well however EGT on #1 is about 100 deg F lower than the other 3 when running at about 30% load and coolant is 175 deg F. Exhaust is very clear. No blowby out of the oil fill. Thought it was the injector on #1 so I replaced just that one and it was pretty sooted up. Replacing it did not make much difference. If I apply more than about 40% load, it dies. No exhaust smoke when it dies. Any suggestions or does it just need ran for hours to clean itself up?
Adjusting the throttle does speed up the engine so I belive I got all of the injector pumps in the slots.
I should mention, after 20mins running at the 30% load, 3 of them were about 300 deg f and #1 was about 200 deg F.

DD58

It sounds like a fuel issue. There not much that can cause that. Fuel and air. Did you bleed the fuel system at the injectors? And do you have new injectors? Try swapping an injector to another cylinder and if the problem moves that the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the top, the muffler, and the air cleaner. Run the engine and crack open the high pressure lines, one at a time, and look for fuel being pumped on every cylinder. I'm guessing you have an IP that is not pumping.

Are all of your IPs turned fully CCW until the feed hose contacts the pushrod tube? I had an issue where mine were not adjusted right and the actuating lever would slip out of the rack when shut off, causing it to be stuck off.

If all IPs are pumping, swap injectors and see if tbe problem moves to a different cylinder.

When you measured the manifold temps, did you shield #1 from the fan's airflow?

dbrads

Pull the top, the muffler, and the air cleaner. Run the engine and crack open the high pressure lines, one at a time, and look for fuel being pumped on every cylinder. I'm guessing you have an IP that is not pumping.

Are all of your IPs turned fully CCW until the feed hose contacts the pushrod tube? I had an issue where mine were not adjusted right and the actuating lever would slip out of the rack when shut off, causing it to be stuck off.

If all IPs are pumping, swap injectors and see if tbe problem moves to a different cylinder.

When you measured the manifold temps, did you shield #1 from the fan's airflow?
I will double check by cracking all injector lines at the injector.
IPs are fully counterclockwise. Should they be adjusted slightly clockwise for more fuel? Maybe 2-3 notches?
I have 3 more new injectors so I will put them in and then all 4 will be new.
I did not shield from the fans airflow but I was using and IR temp gun...I will try shielding air flow. Not sure if that matters on a IR temp gun??

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will double check by cracking all injector lines at the injector.
IPs are fully counterclockwise. Should they be adjusted slightly clockwise for more fuel? Maybe 2-3 notches?
I have 3 more new injectors so I will put them in and then all 4 will be new.
I did not shield from the fans airflow but I was using and IR temp gun...I will try shielding air flow. Not sure if that matters on a IR temp gun??
The IPs should be fully CCW. Rotating them CW can lead to no-start or no-shut-down conditions.

No, the fan does not effect the IR gun, but it does lower the surface temp of the manifold you are measuring.

dbrads

I am wondering if the governor is non-functional. All injectors have been replaced. When I try to start, it fires up instantly with black smoke then putters out after a second or so. I had it running yesterday for 15 minutes so I know there is not air in the fuel system anymore.

2Pbfeet

I am also wondering if I could be sucking air on the fuel filter housing...I just ordered a seal kit.
Other than the erratic behavior (which I think could certainly be an air leak) do you have a reason to suspect an air leak? Are you seeing any bubbles in the return line at the tank? Normally, in my limited experience, a diesel sucking air will be very erratic, so running well for 15 minutes yesterday, especially if it was loaded up, would not usually be consistent with an air leak. In my experience air leaks tend to be present until fixed, rather than coming and going. Governors, and control linkages can certainly be erratic and sticky.

FWIW: There are two o-rings on the main filter, top and bottom, (dash 202, IIRC) on the screw for the fuel filter. If the lower one is dry/deformed, you can leak air there, and it will certainly cause fueling issues. For some reason the lower o-ring gets overlooked by many folks with this design of filter.

I hope this helps.

2Pbfeet

dbrads

Other than the erratic behavior (which I think could certainly be an air leak) do you have a reason to suspect an air leak? Are you seeing any bubbles in the return line at the tank? Normally, in my limited experience, a diesel sucking air will be very erratic, so running well for 15 minutes yesterday, especially if it was loaded up, would not usually be consistent with an air leak. In my experience air leaks tend to be present until fixed, rather than coming and going. Governors, and control linkages can certainly be erratic and sticky.

FWIW: There are two o-rings on the main filter, top and bottom, (dash 202, IIRC) on the screw for the fuel filter. If the lower one is dry/deformed, you can leak air there, and it will certainly cause fueling issues. For some reason the lower o-ring gets overlooked by many folks with this design of filter.

I hope this helps.

2Pbfeet
When it was running yesterday it had no load on it. I am suspecting an air leak because I have clear fuel hose going to every injector pump and I can see movement back and forth in those fuel lines from the injector pump to about 2" back when the engine is either cranking or running. I suspect I am seeing aerated fuel.

Ray70

Did you ever check for fuel coming out of each metering pump?
Post #5 you said you were going to check, but never posted the outcome, this is a very important piece of the puzzle.
I doubt your governor is non-functional. Without the governor you wouldn't make it to 40% load without seriously dropping RPM's
I would verify fuel is getting to all 4 injectors before going any further.
If you are seeing bubbles in the fuel , that has to be fixed as well before moving forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks