• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803A needs replacement engine

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much of your wallet do you need to have leftover? The price for a LPW4 as a good condition runner can be pretty high.

Edit - sorry. No eBay links. My bad.

Search ebay and you'll see engines are not cheap. More than I pay for nice fully running generators.

Personally I think your best bet is to buy one that looks beat to crap at an auction and use it for parts. That in my opinion will be your low cost option.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have seen several that are seized due to water getting in the exhaust and rusted stuck over time. Sometimes you can take it apart and free it up.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont know if this is what you need whiteowls has a 4cy. 6 hp engine 375. Web site whiteowls military surplus kinston nc
I took a quick look through their online inventory and I didn't see any engines. The LPW4 is more of a 20hp engine.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soak the cylinders with PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil and gently work it back and forth. Hopefully it I'll break free.

jamawieb

I just had a unit with the exhaust flap missing and the motor was seized. Took the injectors out and poured transmission fluid into the cylinders, left it for a week and freed it up. Make sure your outside and away from everything with the first startup, because when it starts, it throws junk way up into the air.

Blackbear

I just had a unit with the exhaust flap missing and the motor was seized. Took the injectors out and poured transmission fluid into the cylinders, left it for a week and freed it up. Make sure your outside and away from everything with the first startup, because when it starts, it throws junk way up into the air.
Thank you, will now hope for the best.

Guyfang

Staff member
Let me add to this. Remove the injectors. Insert wonder fluid to loosen things up. Let soak for a few days. Then turn the fan by hand, back and forth to get things loose. THEN crank the engine over for a short time, with the injectors still removed. This is where jamawieb's warning comes in. Stuff WILL be evacuated from the cylinders at a very high rate of speed and pressure. It can hurt you. So be warned. It also doesn't taste worth a darn.

novaman

I just got an 803 from govplanet said cranked but doesn't start. I assumed fuel issue. when I got it and cranked it fuel was pouring from every hose. So I felt pretty good that it was a fuel issue. But it did sound a little different from the others while cranking. So i fixed all the hoses and tried again. but no cigar. plenty of smoke from the exhaust but no even try to fire.
opened the oil fill while cranking and it was as bad as the exhaust. so my guess is it was froze up but they broke it loose and just let the rings shatter themselves to pieces. I'm probably going to try the above recommendation and look for a beater and take the motor from it. seams like the $300 beaters are still selling for way too much now a days. Are people not aware of what they are buying and just burning themselves:burn: or who the **** is buying up all the parts units and then not selling the parts? I'm going to pop the head off and take a look at the cylinder walls if there not super bad MAYBE ill ball hone it and toss some rings in it but who has the time. not me these days. newborn :hammer:...:drool::cry:

Guyfang

Staff member
oday, I looked at a place here in germany that sells army crap. They had at least 20-30 DN2M engines, and in the backround i saw about that many DN4M's also. I sure wish I could get a hold of them. But he shipping from here to the states would kill me.

eatont9999

I dunno, it looks pretty nasty. I guess it depends on how bad the rust is on the cylinder bore and if any crosshatch is left. It may need to be bored out and larger rings installed. Before you go through that expense, make sure the bottom end is not damaged. All it takes is water in a cylinder and someone cranking it not knowing, to do some damage.

Not sure if these engines have wet or dry liners but it looks to me like wet liners. You could replace those if the bore needs to increase past what oversized rings can go to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks