• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a new to me

Deepbluesea56

I bought a mep-803a from a guy that gets them from surplus auctions. He claimed to go through the generator and load test the unit. It was marked ALL FLUIDS DRAINED. Not long after I brought it home, I had the lower well nut fail and dump a whole tank of fuel. I searched SS and found the ultimate well nut repair. Ordered the parts and replaced both well nuts with the bulkhead fittings. Seems like I won’t ever have another in that area again.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for to fix proactively?

Bmxenbrett

Have you changed the fluids and filters?
That spin on fuel filter back in the hole can be a real pain the first time. It usualy requires you to take some pannels off. Grease the O ring on the new one and it will turn off my hand next time.

Deepbluesea56

No I have not yet. The guy that I bought it from supposedly changed all fluid and filters. Looks like he did also. I just got it all hooked up, so that I can power my house. Powered up my house tonight and was pleasantly supprised at how well it was able to handle the load.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do the fuel lines look, especially the return line (Which goes up over the top of the engine, down the back, and to the fuel tank). Very common to have this seep fuel.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also verify it has the Quad Mod installed.
Look for a fuse & fuse holder immediately to the left of the A1 Voltage Regulator inside the control cube.

Bmxenbrett

Good point Light in the Dark.
Rotted well nuts usualy mean return lines are not far behind. You can get a 15ft spool of the return line for about $30. On my set i found that every place the return line was zip tied it seeped fuel through the line.

boxer4luvr

Good point Light in the Dark.
Rotted well nuts usualy mean return lines are not far behind. You can get a 15ft spool of the return line for about $30. On my set i found that every place the return line was zip tied it seeped fuel through the line.
Sooo... don't zip tie them? or make sure they're not too tight on the line?

Bmxenbrett

Not to tight. I did use small zipties to keep the hose on the fittings.
You dont need to zip it tight...it wont float away and its not really near the fan.

Deepbluesea56

The return lines do not appear to be leaking or weeping. I did find that the bottom of the coolant overflow bottle is cracked. Has anyone had any success with trying to repair these. Maybe epoxy or melt it back together?

Bmxenbrett

If you end up taking the top pannel off for any reason i would replace the return fuel lines.

I think you can get those coolant bottles off ebay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks