• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-803a no output voltage

cavalrymedic

i acquired an mep803a in partial trade for a 37kw drash. it has 4k hours and runs like a top. BUT when i connected a load, air compressor, the compressor began to start, then immediately stopped and i do not test voltage at the convenience outlet, nor at the main output termimals. i have the gen on 1phase 120/240. the selectable rotary voltmeter only shows voltage between L1 and L3. it seems i may have popped a fuse or breaker that i do not know about. i checked the 7amp fuse and the bus fuse behind the operation panel. they are fine. the circuit breaker toggle switch on the operTion panel functions and the battle short switch is accounted for. what am missing?

Zed254

Need information on compressor: may be too big for an 803. Did any of the red panel lights come on at generator shut down? I have tripped my overload before and that will take the machine down. TMs will provide troubleshooting approach and LOTS of detailed info.

There are a couple breakers behind the operator's panel: My 802 had the 7-1/2 amp breaker (CB-1) popped when I brought it home - push in to reset.

My fuses are opaque - need a multi-meter to confirm continuity and identify a blown fuse.

RE: Bill's post regarding convenience outlet: breaker is on the GFI box to left as you open the operator's panel. I popped mine with a space heater once.

Attachments

Last edited:

rogpike

You popped the convenience breaker. Press the button on the outlet behind the panel. I did same thing when I first got mine and plugged in my swimming pool pump.

Guyfang

Staff member
Gents,

Slow down. Doc, we need more info.

First off, have you ever seen this gen set work right?

Second, where did you hook up the air compressor?

Third, what size compressor?

Forth, you say you measure no voltage at the load terminals, but you measure voltage on the set meter?

Fifth, did you get any idiot lights on your fault indicator?

Sixth, have you read the operators manual?

It really helps if we know this information.

cavalrymedic

Thanks for the replies guys. The compressor is a smallish one that runs without any problems on the convenience outlet on my MEP-016D, and I thought it would be OK on the outlet on the 803A, but I had no idea that it's just a 10 outlet. I saw no warning lights and the genset continues to run, just without any power. This was my first test of the genset since I got it. I had to replace the fuel lines from the filter to the top of the genset and I had to replace the main fuel pump, so it took me a week to test it out after I got it. It runs smoothly but I still have to clean the fuel tank and replace the auxiliary fuel pump. When I get home tonight I will look for the breaker BEHIND the GFCI outlet. I thought that the ground interrupt on the front of it was the breaker. The more I learn, the more I see how much I don't know. And, I can't find the operator's manual. On this site it links to a bunch of operator's manuals for the 5kw genset.

Guyfang

Staff member
Doc,

The 5 and 10 kW are the same in every way, (99%) except the number if jugs it has. The link Zed provided is in the SS TM forum. Just down load it all. Use the 10 kW parts manual when looking for parts, but for the rest of it, it's all the same.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread sure saved me.
My outlets quit because one thing too many were plugged it during power lost.
Found circuit breaker now outlets work.
Did not know how to get 220volts had no clue that other switch was behind panel.
Now I have 220.
Thanks guy's.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your new genset, Doc.
Before you run it too much, see if it has the two modifications shown in Zed254's picture. One is the blue MOV between terminals 7 and 8 of the voltage regulator, and the other is the fuse mounted along the left side of the regulator. Both of these have been discussed ad nauseum in these forums, but are essential to prevent known issues from causing you grief down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks