• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Noise

jaxbill

I was hoping to get some real world perspective on the noise of the 803A.

I have a small side yard. It's about 16' from my house to the fence. I would put the generator 5' from the house. My neighbor's bedroom is on the opposite side of the fence and I estimate that will put the MEP ~25 feet away. On the bright side, they have no windows on that wall.

FWIW - my heat pump condenser is also in this area and per the specs is louder than the MEP. However, in my experience comparing to a much quieter Honda inverter generator, the Honda generator noise just seems to be more annoying.

My other option for placement in the backyard will significantly complicate the installation and obstruct the view of a window. Overall, my side yard is just a better place for me but I don't want to unnecessarily annoy my neighbors.

Thoughts?

CapePrep

Go on youtube and listen to a few. They are called "tactical quiet", but they are a 4 cylinder diesel with minimal mufflers. I would say you could put it where you want, but build an enclosure around it. Preferably concrete block and some sound insulation. For a longer duration run it could get annoying being that close.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also: Does your neighbor have a generator they run? May be a moot point if their 3600 gas screamer will be running all night. The relative noise will be louder also as none of the background sounds in their house will be going still.

But a stretched extension cord could also blunt annoyance.

jaxbill

I hadn't considered an enclosure but will think about that.

I don't recall them having a portable generator during Irma. I will definitely offer up an extension cord to the accessory outlet no matter where I place it. At least they can power the fridge, charge a phone, and a lamp.

Today I use a 100' inlet cord and place my Honda at they very end of my yard next to my shed. I was hoping to get away from that but might reconsider. I could use a solar charger for the batteries. That said, I guess I could trench my way back there and hard wire it.

Chrispyny

I hadn't considered an enclosure but will think about that.

I don't recall them having a portable generator during Irma. I will definitely offer up an extension cord to the accessory outlet no matter where I place it. At least they can power the fridge, charge a phone, and a lamp.

Today I use a 100' inlet cord and place my Honda at they very end of my yard next to my shed. I was hoping to get away from that but might reconsider. I could use a solar charger for the batteries. That said, I guess I could trench my way back there and hard wire it.
Honestly, 5’ from your house isn’t a great idea. My 802 is approx. 21’ from my home, no windows on that side, and that makes for an optimal situation. I would not want it any closer. Luckily, i have no homes near by to consider.

I have read here that it’s best to keep these gensets a min distance from the house. I read here that diesel exhaust can rise up and into soffits, and into the home, creating a potential carbon monoxide poisoning issue. Again, luckily, my genset in addition to being on the side of my house with no windows 21’ away, also is on the east side of my house, and the trade winds usually pull any exhaust completely away from my house.

You are thinking of an 803. 2 extra cylinders, and placing it between two houses. The fact that it will be between two houses will probably increase what each house hears as the noise will be bouncing repeatedly between houses.

Good luck

jaxbill

Honestly, 5’ from your house isn’t a great idea.
Agreed it's not ideal and I'm strongly considering just putting it at the edge of my property. There's a small wooded drainage that separates the yard behind me. It'll probably echo but better than the alternative. That's about 50' from my house.

How do you keep your batteries charged?

Chrispyny

With a solargizer panel on top of the genset. I bought mine on ebay. There were two sizes. I regret not purchasing the larger of the two. But it keeps my two walmart batteries topped off just fine. Plus load tests every three months or so helps. And starting once or twice for a half hour between load tests.

Chainbreaker

What kind of fence between you and your neighbors? Chainlink, wood or ? If wood, it might help attenuate some of the sound.

Once you get it, I would temporarily position it in the most convenient location and start it up and see how it sounds. Ask the neighbors if its gonna be a problem if the power goes out and you are running it as necessary. Tell em they can come over and charge up their cell phones or whatever. If it doesn't work out you can always move it until you find a more suitable spot and then do a final install. Since the generator is on a skid they can be drug around if you have something to pull it with like a lawn tractor, etc.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being that close, and unless you need every last watt produced, I'd offer the neighbor a 10/3 extension cord with written limits on what they can run in times of power outage......they'll rethink their thoughts on complaining of any "noise". Give them enough juice to power their fridge, and furnace/ limited air conditioning(being in Florida) and a light or two in the house. That will go a long way towards mitigating their sour grapes attitude about "noise".

I've found that "noise complaints" in times of extenuating circumstances, like snow storms, power outages and the like are minimal if not non existent, particularly when the complaining neighbor is a beneficiary of the noise. I've been up at 0200-0400 snowblowing my driveway and my neighbor's drive on many occasions........not a peep was ever heard from them.

I don't know your relationship with your close neighbor but a little bit of power in times of an outage speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

You would be suprised how little your neighbor will hear your generator if you throw a cord over the fence.

Why dont you talk to them and see what they have to say about the subject. After all you have to live next ti them not any of us.

jaxbill

Thanks for all of the tips guys. That video is a great find with the sound meter. I listened to a few but it's always so hard to tell what it sounds like in person. I did a video of my Honda EU that was quiet enough to make a phone call while standing at it but sounded loud in the video.

I don't think I will put it in my side yard. I'm going to keep it farther away from my house and all of the neighboring houses.

Zed254

Picture shows how tight things are in my neighborhood: concrete is the neighbor's driveway. I do my testing on weekdays when most folks are at work and I've bought a spider box to allow neighbors access to power when we need it. I've received some grumbles about making the place look like a Forward Operating Base but all is good. It also helps to be living 3.25 miles from a Naval Air Station: the FA18 launches and landings are WAY louder than my 803.....and both neighbors love the beer that I brew!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

NATCAD

Picture shows how tight things are in my neighborhood: concrete is the neighbor's driveway. I do my testing on weekdays when most folks are at work and I've bought a spider box to allow neighbors access to power when we need it. I've received some grumbles about making the place look like a Forward Operating Base but all is good. It also helps to be living 3.25 miles from a Naval Air Station: the FA18 launches and landings are WAY louder than my 803.....and both neighbors love the beer that I brew!!!
What do they drive out of those small rolling doors? Golf carts?

That is very tight space, a fence could help (even a couple 8 ft sections, but will reflect all the noise back to you

Zed254

A very short vehicle (like a jeep) is about the only thing that will fit. My F250 would knock the corner off of my house....my garage is opposite theirs... so I don't even try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks