• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a not the normal fuel leak from the fuel return line ?

803gen

image.jpgI've replaced the return fuel lines hoping it would take care of the fuel leak at the cylinder head. Know I have a little fuel pooling up at the top of the injector is the a simple fix for this ( new o-rings ) ? It's a 2009 generator with 131 hours and will be shipped to an island to help the locals rebuild from a hurricane. I need to make sure this thing is rock solid. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see much from the photos. I've seen a number of leaks from where the fuel return hose slips over the nipple on each injector. The rubber hose splits and the fuel seeps out.

If you remove the hose also check the nipples for corrosion.

803gen

image.jpgDiesel addict thanks for replying I've added a new picture. I ran the generator hard yesterday and it weeps at the top of the injector but when it cools down the remaining fuel evaporates. All the injectors weep fuel and with the radiator blowing air around I have little black spots everywhere.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Its tough to tell with the pictures.
Have you replaced all the fuel return line? It looks like there is still some braided line painted green there.

Cutting little 1.5 inch pieces between each tee, and all the way down back to the fuel tank.

803gen

So here is a better picture with the pen pointing to the base of the injector where fuel is pooling.image.jpg

I have replaced all the return fuel lines with this stuff
image.jpg

So we the generator is running fuel pools at the injectors and get blow around by the cooling fan
image.jpg

Is it a big deal to pull the injectors ?

thanks

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, you have the correct line. Did you have any issue with any of the tees? could there be a hairline crack in one of the tees? Since this is the fuel return line. There is not a lot of pressure in the line making it come spraying out. That in itself make it hard to locate the point of failure.
Yes, it is one of the things that need fixing. Otherwise it will just coat the compartment with diesel fuel.

OK, in the one picture where you are pointing to the exhaust area. What are you pointing to? If that is black oily goo, your engine is wet stacking. That means it has been run lightly, and the unburned fuel has been building up in the exhaust.

Run the unit long and hard with a good load.

Last edited:

Korgoth1

If it leaks when the switch is on, engine off, its your return. If it only pools up when its running its on the high pressure side, most likely the compression fitting, from being overtightened.

803gen

Thanks for everyone's help ..... I ran the generator hard today 75% load almost 2hrs and I believe it was the wet stacking goo. The heat of the engine and residual goo made it appear I had a leak.

liebsce

I had the same issue with fuel running down from the head. The return lines were not leaking. I found out it was the injector seals weeping fuel up around the injectors. They are available at green mountain generators. Very easy to replace.