• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A - Opinions please - Wiring permanent 50amp outlet on the genny.....

stugpanzer

I am looking at wiring a permanent 50amp outlet on my MEP-803A. I know the mep has overload protection but should I also have the 50amp outlet setup with a breaker/disconnect or just rely on the mep's interrupter switch/circuit?

jamawieb

Just relay on the generator, it will be fine.
I've mounted a combination RV box, which had a 30amp, 50amp and 2 110 outlets, that included their own independent breakers. I got them from Lowes for around $175. I mounted it on the side of the generator and turned out real well; if your looking for something with more variety.

stugpanzer

Just relay on the generator, it will be fine.
I've mounted a combination RV box, which had a 30amp, 50amp and 2 110 outlets, that included their own independent breakers. I got them from Lowes for around $175. I mounted it on the side of the generator and turned out real well; if your looking for something with more variety.
Photos?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at wiring a permanent 50amp outlet on my MEP-803A. I know the mep has overload protection but should I also have the 50amp outlet setup with a breaker/disconnect or just rely on the mep's interrupter switch/circuit?
Having an external way to apply the load to an ALREADY CLOSED K1 can never be a bad thing.

If if you have to replace a K1 because the contacts have arched, pitted or welded together from applying the load through them, you will pay a lot more money than if you had to purchase an external breaker which can be switched in after K1 is closed. You will also have an easier time finding the external replacement.

See the thread on removing the stresses on K1.

jamawieb

That's a nice setup. Does it ever get in the way when you're moving the unit with pallet forks?

-- Carl
No, because I always pick them up from the front and if I have to pick it up from the side, I'll use the opposite side for pickup.

mavucci

How did you mount the box to the unit? Did you use the screws on the unit? Or use self tappers or nuts and bolts with lock rite? I am thinking of doing the same with my 802.

jamawieb

Since I move this generator around a lot, I decided to bolt the RV box to the generator. I used 7/16 bolts with lock nuts to hold it in place.

69birdman

I used the existing bolt holes on the PU, drilled holes on box to match. Easily removed, return to OE.
20180106_141026.jpg20180205_115504.jpg

kcld10

I mounted a 50a twist lock receptacle like I use on my RV. It's not a NEMA configuration but supports 50a/120v/240v, the ground is in the periphery of the plug. I wired up two cords using corresponding plugs; one for power outage use and another dedicated to my load bank to make exercising the 803 easy.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I mounted a 50a twist lock receptacle like I use on my RV. It's not a NEMA configuration but supports 50a/120v/240v, the ground is in the periphery of the plug. I wired up two cords using corresponding plugs; one for power outage use and another dedicated to my load bank to make exercising the 803 easy.
I normally would not post in this thread, because its outside my area of comfort. In the states you use different material and components. But I just have to ask, why did you install the male side of the connector on the set. I know you labeled it, and that's good. Not that it will stop everyone from sticking their finger in there, at least anyone who can read, and doesn't feel the need to pee on the electric fence to see if its on. But still............................. Its makes me shudder. I have been bit by such a thing. No big deal. I wasn't standing in a puddle of water, nor did I have a death grip on the water pipes. It made me jump and use bad words, but nothing more. But still........................ why?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks