• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a Pulse solar charger / dead batteries

impi

Hi folks

I've had my MEP 803 for a couple of years now. I installed a set of maintenance free batteries when I serviced the machine and put it in service. The solar pulse charger that it came with worked great and the monthly exercise startups all worked ok until about 2 months ago I found the batteries dead. I charged both of them and the machine fired right up.

I suspect that the solar panel went as I don't see the green pulsing light that normally flickers at the bottom of the unit. I tested output with a multi meter from the panel itself which gave me in the region of >+3v. similarly on the charge side of the pulse charger I found the same.

I have been unable to find technical specs on the unit to see what the numbers should be, but given that it's a trickle charger to offset static drain I assumed the amount to be ok.

This morning I found both batteries in an anemic state again. So I'll pull them out and charge them up after which I'll take them in for a load test. Question I have is if anyone has any more details on the solar chargers fitted to these units. I looked at the manufacturer site and it's possible to buy a replacement unit for just under $300, but before I do I would like to make sure I'm not replacing stuff that's still working and not addressing the problem,.

Any input will be appreciated.

Regards

kavesman1

I wouldn't spend that much on the solar pulse charger. A quick search of the big auction site as them from $100 to $200 for the kit. But I'd diagnose the system first.

On a sunny day, check the panels output with a voltmeter to see if your getting voltage to the electronic box.Then slid a cover gradually over the panel to see if the voltage drops. If the panel is ok, just replace the electronic box. They typically run $30-$60 on the big auction site.

FloridaAKM

The solar pulse desulfator (not charger) does not charge batteries as some believe, it is designed to remove sulfation on the cell plates & that is all. If you add an additional solar panel & a controller, that will keep the batteries charged; that & scheduled running of the equipment.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are really just desulfators. They only supply a few watts of power. I put a dual 10 amp battery charger in all the units I sold.

impi

The pulse tech is a charger and desulfator. They charge enough to offset parasitic drain. I realize they won't fill a depleted battery, and the unit worked fine for 3 years keeping the batteries at steady state between the monthly 2 hour exercise runs. The unit must have pegged it in Dec as I could not fire up the unit MEP in Jan and started testing. The batteries were disconnected and charged with two separate battery tenders up to a point where the unit would fire up. I obtained a replacement pulse charger to replace the defective unit. The batteries are back on on the tenders and will be taken in for a load test once they're fully charged to see if they packed it in as well. Running a separate plugged in battery charger is not on the cards - the unit sits in the back corner of the lot and I have no intention of running power out there just for a charger. The intent and deployment is for the unit to be self sustaining / sufficient. It's really only there in case a hurricane decides to stroll through the neighborhood again.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a 24v to 36v 100 watt solar panel and charge controller and mount it next to your unit and use it to charge the batteries. You can still use the exiting charger for desulfating. You may also want to check the diode on your alternator. Take your batteries in for a test or buy a tester. I have had many AGM batteries charge to 13.6 volts and still be bad. Especially the yellow tops in 802's. Many would have around 100 cranking amps once they hit 5 years old. New ones may make it 3 years if you are lucky.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks