• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A Questions

cuad4u

After restoring around 30 MEP 003A and MEP 002A generators, I had to stop after health reasons. I had several posts here when I restored these generators.

Several weeks ago I attended a construction equipment auction and I bought my first MEP 803A. I needed a project. Before digging too far into checking the unit, I drained the oil. While the oil was draining I went to the local NAPA store to buy the proper NAPA Gold oil filter as recommended on this site. The local NAPA store did not have the proper oil filter in stock and it would take a couple of days to get the proper filter.

I live in a small town with only one auto supply store. Since I did not want to wait two days on the NAPA filter to arrive to start checking the unit out, I tried several oil filters I keep on the shelf for my tractors to see is any of them would fit. My Ford 3000 diesel tractor uses a Fram PH8A oil filter that I keep on the shelf. The Fram PH8A oil filter fit the 803A perfectly. The threads on the Fram PH8A oil filter screwed perfectly into the 803A. The sealing gasket on the Fram PH8A measured 2.75 inches across just like the sealing gasket on the original Lister oil filter that I took off the unit. The Fram PH8A oil filter is about twice the size of the Lister oil filter. This may or may not mean the Fram oil filter has more filter area inside.

I cranked the 803A generator with new Rotella oil and the Fram PH8A oil filter and all is well. There were no leaks. That was more than a week ago. With the Fram PH8A oil filter I have put more than 5 hours on the unit while I checked it over and while making repairs and adjustments and finally a load test. All is well.

Those of us who live in small towns may not have an auto part store that stocks the NAPA Gold or the Wix oil filter recommended for the 802A and the 803A generators. The Fram PH8A filter is one of the most common oil filter used. Any auto part store and all big box stores stock the Fram PH8A or the same filter that is cross referenced. Using a Fram PH8A oil filter in a pinch on 803A and 802A generators may be old news to those of you who have these generators. If so sorry to taking your time to view my post. Now I have the proper NAPA Gold oil filter, I may install it or I may just leave the Fram PH8A oil filter on the unit until the next oil change.

Last edited:

nextalcupfan

That's actually quite interesting.
Ford used that filter for decades in pretty much every medium duty application I can think of, vehicles with the 300 inline 6, 302, 351W, and 460 should use it.
For reference the Wix part numbers are 51515 for the normal one and 51515XP for the premium filter.

Ray70

Wow, great to know. I use the same size filter ( not Fram for personal quality reasons ) on my Case backhoe, 2 60's era Mustangs as well as the 002/003 spin on filter conversions. I have 2 dozen NAPA 1515 filters on hand, so I'll start using them on my liquid cooled's for extra capacity! Thanks for the tip!.

cuad4u

I am aware of the youtube videos on the Fram filters. I agree that better filters are on the market. I made my post because I read most of threads on different oil filters that can be used on the 802A and 803A generators. None of the threads I read mentioned the Fram PH8A oil filter as a possibility to be used on these two generators.

Near the end of my post, I stated that IN A PINCH a Fram PH8A oil filter can be used on 802A and 803A generators with no issues. I never inferred that the Fram PH8A should be the oil filter of choice on these two generators. The Fram PH8A oil filter along with the AC 25 (that was used on most every Chevy small block engine for 30 years) are about the most common filter and are stocked at every auto parts store along at every "big box" retailer. You can always find these filters.

On the other hand, I have a 2000 Nissan pickup (my daily driver) with 286,000 miles and a 2001 Toyota pickup with 219,000 miles. Both run perfectly and use no oil between 5000 mile oil changes. I change my own oil. Both trucks have been "fed" Havoline 10W-30 oil and $3.97 Fram oil filters from Walmart since new. I want to see just many miles the Nissan will amass until it croaks. Since I am 71 years old, I may croak before the Nissan croaks.

coxju04

Man, thats great to know. I'm stuck in the Middle East while my wife is at home with the 803 because we lost power with the storm. I will pass it along to my brother in law, just incase they need to change the oil.

Guyfang

Staff member
Cox,

Dont worry about changing oil. The set will run, and I have ran several, for a month, and added oil, but didnt bother to fool with changing filters, as we just did not have the time. If it runs, you can take care of it longer. Your down range? Civ or active duty?

coxju04

Cox,

Dont worry about changing oil. The set will run, and I have ran several, for a month, and added oil, but didnt bother to fool with changing filters, as we just did not have the time. If it runs, you can take care of it longer. Your down range? Civ or active duty?

Hey Guy,
Thats great to know. I did service the unit before i left the house. I'm a Civ. now working for Aramco as an Electrician. ( I get to play with 3512 cats). She did check the oil when it was running and she told me that oil was all over the dipstick. I told her that fine as long as the unit had oil in it, to run it. She is still on the 803 going on 7 days straight. The funny part is that every other house around her as Elect, but her. She called the power company and they told her that it will be out unit Friday or so. lots of damage down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks