• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a seized engine

jamawieb

You'll actually have number 1 and 4 rotate at the same time, then 2 and 3 at the same time. And they all do line up at the bottom of the stroke.

jmpratt

Got it freed up. Rotates easily now.

Here's a pic of the worst cylinder. The worst damage is midway down the cylinder. You can feel it with your fingernail, but not very deep.

So do i just hone it out or get the cylinders bored and put on bigger rings?
IMG_20180103_165031.jpg

Last edited:

jamawieb

If you have soaked them long enough in some sort of rust dissolvent, like PB Blaster, transmission fluid, Evapo-rust, etc, they will release. The will usually release no matter what, with the heat of the motor after running.

jmpratt

Thanks, jamawieb. That's what I figured.

However, I broke an oil ring trying to loosen it up. Anyone have an extra? A set of rings is $45 on eBay so I may have to bite the bullet on that one.

How about head gaskets, what's the best place to get one?

Kenny0

I pulled out a piston. The rings are stuck pretty good. Will they free up when it runs again?
Essential Lube works good for freeing things up if left to soak long enough. After you get it running put at least an 8000 watt load on it and let it run for several hours then change oil and filter while still hot.

jamawieb

Thanks, jamawieb. That's what I figured.

However, I broke an oil ring trying to loosen it up. Anyone have an extra? A set of rings is $45 on eBay so I may have to bite the bullet on that one.

How about head gaskets, what's the best place to get one?
I get head gaskets off ebay, DPEquipment sells them. If you look at your head gasket, there will be a tab with holes in it. The ones DPEquipment sells are OE with 2 holes in the tab. The holes in the tab tell the thickness of the head gasket. I believe there are 2 different head gasket used but the 2 hole is the most common. Don't buy the cheap Chinese head gaskets!

Bmxenbrett

I would pull all the pistons, hone all cylinders and put new rings in. Its only going to cost you a few hundred more at the moment. Going to cost alot more if the rod goes through the block. Generators by nature arnt a piece of equipment your right by when running.
Driving a vehicle and hear a funny tap? Your right there and can shut it off.

jamawieb

How much pitting is too much? I'm installing new rings on all pistons. Some pits are about .001-.002" at the most. Will they eat up the new rings?
View attachment 714410View attachment 714411View attachment 714412View attachment 714413View attachment 714414
How far down is the pitting in the cylinder wall? Is it centralized or does it extend the entire length of the wall. Its hard since we are not there to see first hand. Third picture from the left doesn't look good but it may be minor. I do not believe the pitting will cause problems to your new rings.

jmpratt

The pitting is around mid-stroke. It's mostly centralized. The third picture has a little more pitting, but it is not as deep as the first. I can hone them some more.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stupid flap and silicon seal! It kills me to see these units in the yard at GL with the flaps stuck open. I never buy one missing a flap. Buying a generator from a gov auction is like a what Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get"

jamawieb

Let me know how you were able to get the pistons out without removing the motor? Looks like one of mine is going to need new rings and I usually pull the entire motor out.

jamawieb

piston.jpg
So I had chance to pull the pistons on one that I got from Lockbourne OH, where they said the motor turned over. I originally pulled the head and found a small amount of rust so I honed the cylinders without removing the pistons. Then put it back together and still could not get it to start. Pulled the head and pistons, found one cracked piston. I beat the engine was seized and the GL employees forced the motor over cracking the piston.aua

jmpratt

IMG_20180116_201841.jpgIMG_20180116_201912.jpgIMG_20180118_182632.jpgOuch. Mine has gone back together nicely. Put on new rings and had the head cleaned w/ valve job ($265 at local shop). I built an injector tester. Two of the injectors won't pop (nozzle holes are corroded) so I'm looking at getting some parts for them. This will be good unit when it's all back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks