• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A smoke after oil change

Louis9113

Hi,
I recently changed the oil/filter (Wix and Rotella) and now shortly after startup I’m getting an unusual amount of smoke. 2100 hrs. New to me set and it did fine (no smoke) before oil change.
31E61541-3F35-4303-B54C-A703A9170EEA.png
I have a video but I can’t upload it. The TM I looked at didn’t go into much detail about blue/white smoke 10-15 seconds after startup.

nextalcupfan

My 803a smokes for a bit after startup.
But it always clears after a minute or 3, longer in cold weather.

I run AMSOil SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Oil.
Says its formulated for Pre-2007 engines.

Last edited:

Louis9113

My 803a smokes for a bit after startup.
But it always clears after a minute or 3, longer in cold weather.

I run AMSOil SAE 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Oil.
Says its formulated for Pre-2007 engines.
I’ve had a knot in my stomach since I first saw the smoke from my unit but it has eased a little after seeing your videos. I was scared to run it very long, but you think let it run to clear up? Nearly identical amount/color as your smoke.
It was clean burning with the unknown old oil in it a month ago.

nextalcupfan

You should probably wait until others with more experience chime in here.
I've only ever seen my unit in person.
But personally I'm not worried about mine since it clears after a minute or so.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I've seen other threads about "excessive smoke" at start-up on these machines. My home stand-by 10kw unit smokes much like the units in nextalcupfan's vids. It always clears up in a few minutes. I try to run mine at least every other month under a 100% load for 30 - 45 minutes. I've never had to add engine oil, so I assume the smoke is fuel related. I would take a deep breath (not from the exhaust smoke!) and allow your machine to come up to operating temperature. Also, it's a good idea to run these engines under a load if possible. They are prone to "wet-stacking" due to running for long periods of time with no load. Unburned fuel can enter the exhaust manifold and muffler and sit there. The next time you fire it up and put a load on it the unburned fuel will burn out causing excessive smoke.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2x recommend load banking the unit once a month if you don't already. 70-80% of max rating usually works.

With the oil gauge, double check end-to-end for loose connections, it may be a coincidence the gauge is pegging.

If your really concerned, buy a new bottle of oil from a different source and chamge the oil again. Covid-era production of all things has resulted in less than stellar quality control. Maybe the oil was bottled with the wrong weight.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
White smoke after a cold start, even in a warm climate, is pretty normal in a mechanical diesel engine. Especially if it is a little rich. My diesel ATV with the fuel turned up has a lot of while smoke for about 5 minuets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks