• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a starting Capability

Kapunui

We are looking at purchasing a local 803a for our wood shop. We need a good source of extra 3 phase power and have exceeded our rotary phase converter’s capacity. With a new table saw equipped with a 11hp (8kw) 3 phase motor we are hoping the 803a will be able to start the saw. Any thoughts on this? It shouldn’t be a hard start but we are worried the starting amps might exceed what the 803a can handle.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are looking at purchasing a local 803a for our wood shop. We need a good source of extra 3 phase power and have exceeded our rotary phase converter’s capacity. With a new table saw equipped with a 11hp (8kw) 3 phase motor we are hoping the 803a will be able to start the saw. Any thoughts on this? It shouldn’t be a hard start but we are worried the starting amps might exceed what the 803a can handle.
If that is mainly what it will be doing I would suggest the mep-804a (15kw 3 phase) simply for the fact you get 5 more kw at a fraction of the cost of an 803a (usually about $2000 ish dollars less) Do note that the 804a (without converting it) is 3 phase only If you can find a decent 805a (30kw 3 phase) they are generally pretty cheap aswell usually around ~$2000

From watching the sales today all the 803a's today went for around 3.9k to 4.1k

Kapunui

If that is mainly what it will be doing I would suggest the mep-804a (15kw 3 phase) simply for the fact you get 5 more kw at a fraction of the cost of an 803a (usually about $2000 ish dollars less) Do note that the 804a (without converting it) is 3 phase only
The only need for the generator is to supply 3 phase power for our shop. We do like the idea of the single phase capability, but in the end we need it to make 3 phase power. With a proper power distribution box, can you get single phase power with the 804a?

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only need for the generator is to supply 3 phase power for our shop. We do like the idea of the single phase capability, but in the end we need it to make 3 phase power. With a proper power distribution box, can you get single phase power with the 804a?
I don't want to speak above my knowledge but there are videos on youtube of the conversion and a few threads on here on how that would be possible, I know it was touched on here very recently https://steelsoldiers.com/threads/3-phase-to-single-phase-step-down-transformers.215605/ , also I updated the previous post with a little more info

I will say that my 803a will handle about 12.5 kw before it starts not performing good but that is no hard starts

Last edited:

Kapunui

I don't want to speak above my knowledge but there are videos on youtube of the conversion and a few threads on here on how that would be possible, I know it was touched on here very recently https://steelsoldiers.com/threads/3-phase-to-single-phase-step-down-transformers.215605/ , also I updated the previous post with a little more info

I will say that my 803a will handle about 12.5 kw before it starts not performing good but that is no hard starts
That is the problem I am running into, trying to figure out what the 803a can handle for a single load starting. The saw we are running should not be a hard start, but it is a fairly large motor at 8kw. I’m sure the 803 would have no issues running it, but the start I’m just not sure.

Additionally , if I go to large on the generator, once the saw is running I’m worried I won’t load it enough to avoid wet stacking.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the problem I am running into, trying to figure out what the 803a can handle for a single load starting. The saw we are running should not be a hard start, but it is a fairly large motor at 8kw. I’m sure the 803 would have no issues running it, but the start I’m just not sure.

Additionally , if I go to large on the generator, once the saw is running I’m worried I won’t load it enough to avoid wet stacking.
Copy that, while I have an 803a I don't have a motor that large to test it but I am sure someone here does and hopefully they see this thread and can get you the info you need my friend.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting an 8 kW motor is too much for the 803a. It might start it, but doing it repeatedly will likely burn up something. If you can incorporate a soft starter, then you should be fine and the motor is a good load match when it's running.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might install a VFD on the saw. Those can be set up to start pretty soft. Check if your motor is compatible but usually they are fine.

This one might work for you:

Cheaper than a generator. It is rated for 10hp on 1 phase input but I would be surprised if you are using all 11 HP.
You will be able to pull 30A from the single phase and that equates to 10 HP at 230V 3ph. I use VFD on stamping presses and they do not pull more then FLA at start-up. But the saw will turn on a little bit more slowly and ramp up to speed. This can be configured in the settings.

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might install a VFD on the saw. Those can be set up to start pretty soft. Check if your motor is compatible but usually they are fine.

Cheaper than a generator. It is rated for 10hp on 1 phase input but I would be surprised if you are using all 11 HP.
Its rated for 20HP on 3ph. Should work fine with a MEP803.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe my MEP-003 would start that load anyway. It might drag down for a few seconds but it would start. Not sure why an 803 wouldn't do the same.

But if the power line power can supply 230V 1Ph at 30A or more then the VFD should run this saw for a lot less cost and less messing around.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP003 > MEP803.

I own both. The MEP803 is a great unit and a beast in its own right but a good running MEP003 will run rings around a MEP803. ESPECIALLY in handling surge loads.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe my MEP-003 would start that load anyway. It might drag down for a few seconds but it would start. Not sure why an 803 wouldn't do the same.

But if the power line power can supply 230V 1Ph at 30A or more then the VFD should run this saw for a lot less cost and less messing around.

Agreed with this statement. If the rotary converter is the limitation and not line power, a VFD to convert single phase to 3 phase makes way more sense.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP003 > MEP803.

I own both. The MEP803 is a great unit and a beast in its own right but a good running MEP003 will run rings around a MEP803. ESPECIALLY in handling surge loads.
For my knowledge, could you expand on this?

Is it a lack or safeties that allows the 003 to surge harder or are the mechanics of the machine better?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For one the LPW4 engine on the 803 is ~1,800cc. The engine on the 003 is ~2,300cc. That itself isn't a predictor of power output but I can say the higher rotating mass of the larger engine will certainly help it handle surges better.

I haven't done formal measurements but from looking at the two, virtually everything on the MEP003 is just beefier.

With my home here I was able to run the MEP003 up to around 14kw before it seemed to suffer. I stopped here because I was becoming concerned about an electrical overload. The engine while showing it was loaded, was still keeping up.

My MEP803 which runs very well gets unhappy around 13kw. RPM starts dropping as you go above that level.

Not a scientific test and I didn't do that stuff back to back but overall I find the MEP803s I go thorugh from auction will do well up to around 12.5kw where the MEP003 I have here will do over 14kw.

I offer this strictly as my observation.

Triple Jim

I sold my rotary converter and run my 3-phase equipment on a VFD. It's a 240v single phase input, 208v 3 phase output VFD. It works great, and adds variable speed where I didn't have that with the rotary converter.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold my rotary converter and run my 3-phase equipment on a VFD. It's a 240v single phase input, 208v 3 phase output VFD. It works great, and adds variable speed where I didn't have that with the rotary converter.
AMEN! The availability of relatively inexpensive VFD has opened up the market for 3 phase equipment to be used by the homeowner.

At work I am not itching to replace any of the old DC controlled variable speed motor drives we have as long as they are working. However all the Reeves variable speed belt drives are gone...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks