• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Starting kVa capacity

kavesman1

I just picked up a Speedaire 2 stage 15hp air compressor of the GL website. I used my 803a to test to see if the motor on it was good.

After getting the motor wired to 208v, i hit it with the 803a 3 phase output. The genset definitely didn't like that motor...but after about 5 seconds, the motor was at full speed. And the load indicator on the genset sat at about 80%. But the compressor was just venting to atmosphere.

If you want a higher capacity kva genset, look into a Drash genset. From what I've researched, the one's with the Isuzu 4 cylinder engines usually have a 20kw/25kva, 12 wire head on them. And at full rated load, they only burn about 1.5 gallons per hour.

I also confirmed from an engineer of one of the manufacturers of the Gen heads that their 12 wire units can be reconfigured from the 120/208v 3 phase output to basically any output...120v single phase to 440v 3 phase.

jaxbill

Find one in the size you need. Dosnt have to be military surplus to do the job.
Looking for a commercial unit has been disappointing. To pass inspection for the entire job I need a UL listed unit. I figure if I am going to spend over $10K for a commercial unit I am going to get the whole job inspected. (I am hiring an electrician to install the ATS and Load Shedding kit. That job will be inspected with my portable generator.)

Hardy Diesel's website seems like it hasn't been updated in months or maybe years. They don't sell UL listed generators anymore. The guy on the phone was confused why I would think they sold them in the first place. He did say maybe in Q3 2018.

Aurora isn't UL 2200 listed either but they have a Canadian equivalent. Not sure I want to deal with that unless I have no other choice.

I was feeling pretty good about a Kubota GL14000 until I realized it too had no UL listing. I also got some weird answers about possibly not being able to remove the neutral bonding. I don't know if it's waterproof with the terminal wiring attached at the same time as the door/cover. That would be ~$10,000 for a 3600RPM unit when you add in the accessories that are needed (auxiliary fuel pump, 2 wire start kit, etc...).

There are a lot of other good generators out there with the same UL problem. Sadly, Generac makes a diesel that is listed but it's a lot of money for an unknown engine and quality that could be hit or miss.

I think I am back to a MEP-803A and might try to isolate those electric heat strips so the defrost cycle of my heat pump doesn't activate them (at the same time).

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have moved several low hour commercial Kohler NG units that are 30kw units 240/120 single phase or 3 phase that sell for less than 6k. No wet stacking!

jaxbill

I have moved several low hour commercial Kohler NG units that are 30kw units 240/120 single phase or 3 phase that sell for less than 6k. No wet stacking!
That was my first choice except I don't have NG but wanted to go LP. Can't find a legal place to bury or place a 500 gallon LP tank that a truck can actually reach. Thought about manifolding smaller cylinders but ran into issues there as well.

This is what happens when you have small side lots and HOAs to govern what you can put in your front yard.

jaxbill

Have you called the LP suppliers in your area? Around here most delivery trucks have at least 100' of hose on the reel. Some can reach 150'.
Yeah, 110' was the best I could get and that's about 15' short given my property layout. With LP around $3.50/gallon and ~$5,000 in up-front costs, I'm good with diesel at this point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks