• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A testing alternator output

chilbun28

The brand new batteries certainly took a charge. Now running the unit the battery charge needle is basically at zero. So with that and the alternator putting out 28v should I assume everything is good to go?

Also, is this normal operating temp yall see on your units or is it running warm? Down here in Louisiana I'm curious if I should put a 180 degree thermostat in it or leave it alone.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
The meter is not world famous for preciseness. Take it with several grains of salt. I would maybe get a temp gun and measure what the temp actually is, then decide what to do. Maybe drain, flush and refill the system first. LOOK at the thermostat. Get a couple gaskets.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brand new batteries certainly took a charge. Now running the unit the battery charge needle is basically at zero. So with that and the alternator putting out 28v should I assume everything is good to go?

Also, is this normal operating temp yall see on your units or is it running warm? Down here in Louisiana I'm curious if I should put a 180 degree thermostat in it or leave it alone.
If it's staying at that temp in Louisiana daily temps, I wouldn't worry about it. As Guyfang posted, the meters are not super calibrated and can vary several degrees + or -.
I would make sure that the coolant mixture is 50/50 though to give boil over protection.

nextalcupfan

My temp gauge has always run a little high, I believe once I temp gunned the thermostat housing and it was 10-15F cooler than the gauge reading.
Perhaps the sending unit is in a slight "hot spot"?

nextalcupfan

That's perfect , that's how it should be , maybe a little preheat though and it cold weather.
Totally normal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I haven't used preheat since I installed an oil pan heater. Even down to -10F it fires right up. (since its glued to the bottom of the crankcase its also acting as a kind of block heater as well)

chilbun28

Thanks everyone. Last question, I have this generator mounted on a wood decked trailer. What would be my best method for grounding the unit when I have it plugged into my home? Will it be properly grounded through the plug or should I ground it through the grounding terminal that's by the L1,L2,L3 terminals?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks everyone. Last question, I have this generator mounted on a wood decked trailer. What would be my best method for grounding the unit when I have it plugged into my home? Will it be properly grounded through the plug or should I ground it through the grounding terminal that's by the L1,L2,L3 terminals?
Definitely drive a Ground Rod.

Attached is a Power Point Presentation on why.
Also attached is a "Bonding" pamphlet.

1684522555573.png

Attachments

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard different things , if you're grounding to your house your house ground Goes to the ground terminal.
where I'm pointing with my finger
silver bar , you loosen the top nut on that bar and move it away for disconnection.

Additional grounding for the unit chasse to a ground rod would also be proper, I believe I'm sure people will chime in To confirm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks