• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a top cover off with questions

chilbun28

I removed the top cover for the motor compartment to change the fuel return lines and notice these white cables with corroded looking wires/fittings. Are these grounding and bonding connections? I'm assuming I should make up new cables for it and replace them while the cover is off. Anyone have any suggestions on them? Thanks

Attachments

jamawieb

I would for sure clean all that up, Guyfang gave you the answer. Dirty connections could have caused the shorting. Make sure you take the glowplugs out and check them because I've had them burn up and break. When they break they can get sucked into the intake and cause all kinds of engine problems.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I removed the top cover for the motor compartment to change the fuel return lines and notice these white cables with corroded looking wires/fittings. Are these grounding and bonding connections? I'm assuming I should make up new cables for it and replace them while the cover is off. Anyone have any suggestions on them? Thanks
Aside from the corrosion on top of that LPW4 engine, those glow plug cables look like they've had some high current in them. I'd be checking the R value of each of the glow plugs (with each one isolated from the rest) and also check the glow plug relay for possible sticking. I've read here in this forum that it does happen, although I've personally never experienced that scenario. Was this unit stored out in the open with the top cover removed? Was it stored near salt water?

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I just got it not long ago, not sure of its history. It runs well. Can I buy new cables and just buy new ones and change them out? Don't know my way around diesel engines very much....
You’ll find lots of help on this forum. It’s best to test and replace parts as needed rather than just replacing them. It’s also a lot less expensive. Those cables may look “bad” but still have a lot of integrity left in them. One of the best ways (and most suggested on this forum) to get to know your machine is to read the technical manuals. (TM’s) These machines are very well designed and relatively easy to troubleshoot once you get to know them. Good luck and have some fun while getting to know your machine!

chilbun28

You’ll find lots of help on this forum. It’s best to test and replace parts as needed rather than just replacing them. It’s also a lot less expensive. Those cables may look “bad” but still have a lot of integrity left in them. One of the best ways (and most suggested on this forum) to get to know your machine is to read the technical manuals. (TM’s) These machines are very well designed and relatively easy to troubleshoot once you get to know them. Good luck and have some fun while getting to know your machine!
Thanks, where can I find the technical manuals?

Ray70

You can make up some new wires if you get the right size terminal ends and the appropriate crimping tool.
I can also look through my spares piles and see if I have a full set of wires available, if you'd like.
Step 1 though, make sure you can get the "Nuts" off the pre-heaters. Sometimes they get corroded and stuck because they are aluminum.
Forcing them can cause the center of the heater to spin and ruin the heating element.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks