• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803A Voltage 3phase

2mas-

Hi,

Is it possible to tune up the voltage on 3phase a little bit? It says 120v/208v on the swtich. When i turn up the voltage knob to max it give me around 210-215v. I would have hoped to get it up to 230v since that is the voltage we use in Europe

Any tips and tricks?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You use 230V Single phase in Europe, no 3PH correct? If you are looking for 230V single phase, you just need to reconfigure the machine. Then the issues comes to hertz though... this machine is designed to produce 60hz, not 50hz.

On the rear of the panel behind the gauge flip down is the S8 phase selection switch. There you choose 120V Single Phase, 120/240V Single Phase, and 120/208 3PH (not while running!). You would want to set it to the 120/240V selection. This will provide voltage to L1 and L3 legs on the machine.. You would need to set the front AM/VM switch to showcase the correct gauge listings (3 o clock setting).

Once set this way, use the voltage regular knob on the face of the machine to turn the voltage down to 230V from 240V. The issue remaining would still be hertz though.

nextalcupfan

In Norway, you have three kinds of power available:

2 hot phases and earth. 230v phase-phase, 115v phase-earth. Normal 16A wall socket.
3 hot phases and earth. 230v phase-phase, 115v phase earth. Blue CEE 3-phase, or square three phase connectors.
3 hot phases, neutral and earth. 380(400)v phase-phase, 230v phase-neutral, 190v phase-earth. Red Cee 3-phase connectors.
I found this while researching the power setup in Norway.
If the OP needs the first setup then what Light in the Dark said is absolutely the best way to go.

If he needs the second one then I would put the set in 3-phase and turn the regulator up as far as it will go, whatever you get you get. (Most devices have a fairly wide voltage range they will work in)

Unfortunately if he needs the third option this set won't work, though I think an 804 or bigger can be set to 416v 3 phase though.

Last problem is frequency, I don't know how the regulator or gen head would hold up at 50 Hz. Someone with more experience than me would need to chime in.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get it below 60hz, but not down to 50. I don't recall which TM I read it in, I think it goes down to 56hz?

Guyfang

Staff member
I thought Norway had the same as Germany. 220/240 volts. If he needs single phase, 220 volts, He just needs to pick voltage off two phases.

DCB6

As a side note for those considering the NEW Kurt Klopp voltage regulator for their 803A, it is possible to boost the 3 phase nominal 208 voltage to 230-232 volts! The original A1 regulator could be adjusted up to around 218V or a little more, but with Kurt's guidance, I was able to get that, plus an extra 10-14 volts........Why? Some older irrigation pumps (5-7 HP) have motors with data plates the specify 240V and some electricians are reluctant to connect a 803A if the pump data plate doesn't specifically state it was wired for 208-240V operation.
Once the new boosted voltage was attained, a concern was if the over voltage trip setting would be too close to the new output. Again, Kurt Klopp came through and calculated the over voltage trip at 259 volts. Kudos to Kurt!
Hopefully, I didn't go too far off topic here.

DCB6

Zeke:
Good question, but I only checked the 3 phase connection, since It was sold to be connected to a 240V, 7HP well pump per my previous post. Regardless of the extra benefit of additional voltage boost, there are too many other reasons not to install the Klopp voltage regulator of every unit you have. Why? The benefits are detailed the posting under the 'Parts for Sale' section, MEP-802A & MEP-803A Voltage Regulators Replaces 19580 88-21063 6110-01-363-0492.
I have installed 6 of them. What can do to a 803A that protects your investment better? It is easy to install and very reasonably priced.

ZekeAnderson

Can you tell us what the mod does Kurt? I hear from DCB6 that it boosts the voltage on the 3phase to atleast 230v. Does it also boost the voltage on 1phase 120/240v? or will it remain at 240v?

DCB6

I will defer to Kurt on explaining ALL of the Voltage Regulator Benefits.

However, a bit of context may be helpful for those unaware of a previous MEP-802/803A problem, Until just recently, when you obtained one of these generators from wherever, you might have been delighted to receive it thinking: It looks good, complete, undamaged, relatively late model and it starts up beautifully. These good feeling turn to dispair when testing the voltage output reveals the generator quad winding is toast. Prior to Kurts new VR replacement, the options for fixing a bad quad winding was cost prohibitive, and many of these units became spare parts donors.

An interim fix was devised to install the 'Quad Fuse modification'. Previous postings in this forum admonished everyone to install the Quad Fuse Modification as the very first thing you did to a newly obtained unit.

The good news is that the Kuts VR Replacement is the remedy for units with bad quad windings. If you purchase a unit without the Quad Fuse Modification, you are money ahead by installing the NEW VR instead.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you tell us what the mod does Kurt? I hear from DCB6 that it boosts the voltage on the 3phase to atleast 230v. Does it also boost the voltage on 1phase 120/240v? or will it remain at 240v?
One would get the equivalent boost if desired when running 120 or 120/240 too. The new VRs come pre-set to output nominal voltage but can be boosted up by adjusting the new front panel voltage potentiometer. If more voltage is needed there is a small potentiometer on the VR that can be turned to get even more voltage from the set.
The VRs regulate based on the AC voltage that's fed to the convenience outlet and are not dependant on the setting of the phase reconnection switch.
Changing the phase reconnection switch simply reconfigures how the 6 sets of windings from the gen head are configured before heading to the contactor and output lugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks