• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A vs. MEP 1040

Islandfarmer

Got a question for those of you knowing a whole lot more about this than I do:

Are there any pros and cons between the Onan and the Cummins powered gensets?

I've noticed the Cummins powered ones going for around double what the Onan go for.

jamawieb

Cummins bought Onan several years ago. The 1040's are just starting to be liquidated so parts and price are scarce. The 803 is a proven machine, they have been manufactured since 1993. The 1040's started production in 2013. Pro's of the 1040: better fuel economy, a little quieter, digital readings. Cons: more complex, more compact making them harder to work on, digital screen (if it fails no replacement and can't use the unit. My opinion, stay with the 803a

Ray70

Ditto.... 803 is easier on your wallet as well.... Still very quiet, easier to repair, proven track record.... and tons of support HERE!
1040... newer, harder to fix, less knowledge due to being fairly new to this forum, higher cost.... AND that troublesome digital control panel which is very hard to come by and expensive!
Eventually the tide will turn, but right now 1040 is still too new for me. ;-)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before pulling the trigger on an unknown unit at an auction I would suggest looking at the cost of new civilian machines. If you are considering buying a MEP1040 you might be surprised that you can buy a NEW civilian unit of the same wattage for similar or even less $$$. It won't have some of the bells and whistles of a MEP but lets be real here, what we want is a machine we put fuel in one end and get power out of the other.

If you search around you'll see you can buy a new 10-12 kw 1800 rpm diesel for under $10k.

Abrant23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you search around you'll see you can buy a new 10-12 kw 1800 rpm diesel for under $10k.
I just picked up a 1040 with 5 hours on it for $5500. Add the tax and premium and two new batteries and I’m in it for $6800. Can’t really best that.

They’re selling the computer units now as well, and I picked up a spare for $250.

Also with hurricane season upon us, the 803’s are selling for dang near the same price as the 1040s.

I rolled the dice on a 1040 and so far I’m glad I did.

superman4283

I just picked up a 1040 with 5 hours on it for $5500. Add the tax and premium and two new batteries and I’m in it for $6800. Can’t really best that.

They’re selling the computer units now as well, and I picked up a spare for $250.

Also with hurricane season upon us, the 803’s are selling for dang near the same price as the 1040s.

I rolled the dice on a 1040 and so far I’m glad I did.
Where did you find the computer unit?

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am now the proud owner of both and MEP 803a with 7hrs and an mep 1040 with 11 hours both manufactured in 2013. trying to decide on which one to liquidate. things i like about both. I do have to say 803 group 34 agm batteries are cheaper and easier to get in my area than group 51r's, but the 1040 battery installation was a pain not much room to work. Also not real thrilled on the 1040 with an electric fan, seems the mechanical fan on an 803 is a better choice, Just a few of my thoughts

Guyfang

Staff member
I am now the proud owner of both and MEP 803a with 7hrs and an mep 1040 with 11 hours both manufactured in 2013. trying to decide on which one to liquidate. things i like about both. I do have to say 803 group 34 agm batteries are cheaper and easier to get in my area than group 51r's, but the 1040 battery installation was a pain not much room to work. (This is the complaint I always hear about the new gen sets. I know the senior CECOM master tech, and this is his greatest pet pive about the new sets. Well, that and the price of repair parts.) Also not real thrilled on the 1040 with an electric fan, seems the mechanical fan on an 803 is a better choice, Just a few of my thoughts
Open to see comments.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks