• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A W/Remote Monitor Panel Modification

Helmet

Greetings fellow members. First I would like to thank you all for sharing your
knowledge and experience. I have been assisted several times by information
listed here and I am very appreciative for it.
My current dilemma:
I recently acquired a 2009 MEP-803A from Tobbyhanna. The unit has 34 hours
on it and is in excellent condition. The generator has been modified to be used
on a "10KW Unmanned Aircraft Systems Universal Power Pack Trailer" (A1-38431D). This means the wiring harness has been modified so that the generator can be operated and monitored remotely using either an APU Control
Unit or a Remote Status Panel. Since I don't have either of those items or the
Remote Monitor Panel Cable required I'm wondering if anyone has gone through
the process of removing the secondary wire harness that was installed.
I do have do have the operating manual for the complete system (D1-38534D)
and in it states "A loop back plug (MS3541W24-28P) can be installed in cable
A1-38473D to bypass the Emergency Stop Button on the APU Remote Unit so the generator can function without the panel. However, when the unit was modified it was set up to run using an auxiliary fuel tank on the trailer. The wire that connects to the auxiliary tank was cut when the generator was removed from the trailer. So when I attach the Loop Back Plug I have no power at the control panel.
I did start the generator using the crank switch inside the engine compartment and manually overriding the throttle but it shut down once the fuel in the fuel lines was used as there is no power to the primary fuel pump.
So before I start pulling and reconnecting wires I was hoping someone may have dealt with this before.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helmet,
You may want to post this over in the "Auxilary Equipment" section. There are threads there related specifically to MEP Gensets. Also the guys frequently reading there are an amazing wealth of knowledge.

Mods, can you move this over there for the OP?

Ridgerunr

Helmet,
I just returned from Tobyhanna and discovered that my MEP-803A has been modified the same as yours. I'm studying the manual in the hopes I can figure out how to return the unit to its original state. If you come across anything on how to undo this mod, please update this post. I will do so as well.

Guyfang

Staff member
Was there not any extra wire schematics and diagrams supplied with the gen set? Are the diagrams on the side of the set the standard ones? Or perhaps up graded?

smokem joe

Was there not any extra wire schematics and diagrams supplied with the gen set? Are the diagrams on the side of the set the standard ones? Or perhaps up graded?

You are answering my questions on another thread but the first post on here has been the only info I could find on it. Google brings up no help with those numbers for manuals or parts.

Guyfang

Staff member

I hope you can read the above document. The long and short of it is that the document concerning the Modification to the MEP-803A is not to be sent, copied, used or disclosed by anyone not in the need to know group, of which we are part of. That's the bad news.

The good news, is all you need to do is remove the "foreign" wires, and reattach the normal wire harness, as I suspected. There is another mod, done to BOTH, (I think) electric fuel pumps. A thermostat was added to the auxiliary fuel pump, to keep it from burning up, should the auxiliary fuel tank go dry. Remember, this thing is supposed to be left someplace without supervision. The thermostat is attached to the electric fuel pump with epoxy, and hooked up to the electric fuel pump wire harness, P-21. If the pump runs without pumping fuel for a certain amount of time, and gets hot, the thermostat cuts the pump out of the system, to prevent overheating and eventual damage. In any case, its on the Aux pump. Check the main pump. Some were modified, some were not. While I think its a good idea in this application, I don't feel like its needed. Your decision.

As I also could not read the document, I suspect that this is about all you need. My friend told me its straight forward, just remove the wires and reattach the old ones. You CAN write Tobyhanna, and ask for permission to get and use the document. I can get the address if you want to do that. But I don't think its worth the time and effort, unless you want to keep the gen set modified.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks