• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803A will not Shut off

Glenn H

You'll need to do some measurements to determine why the generator isn't producing power.
With the set running measure the DC voltage across terminals 5 & 6 of the VR with S1 in held in START. It ought to be about 7.6 volts DC.
If you get that that voltage then check the AC voltage at the convenience outlet for about 120 volts AC with set running and S1 held in START. Then check the AC voltage across VR terminals 7 & 8 with the set running and S1 held in START. Should see about 70 volts AC. Lets us know what you get for those readings.
Pin 5&6 DC voltage on VR. With S1 In start while running is 7.5
AC voltage at convenience outlet wit set running an S1 held in start is 124. 12
AC voltage across VR terminals 7&8 with set running and S1 held in start is 85.9

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The good news is:
- The flashing function is working, the wiring to the exciter is good and the exciter is good. (7.5 volts)
- The stator and the rotating diodes are good. (124.12 volts)
- The Quad Winding is good (5.9 volts)

Two more things to check before condemning the voltage regulator.
With the set OFF remove the wire to voltage regulator terminal 1.
Measure the resistance between that wire and terminal 2 of the voltage regulator. As you rotate the voltage adjust on the front panel the resistance should smoothly vary from about 0 ohms to about 5,000 ohms.
If that checks out, then re-attach the wire to terminal 1 of the voltage regulator.
Start the generator and measure the AC voltage across voltage regulator terminals 3 & 4 with S1 held in START. It ought to be about 120 volts AC.

If all that checks out and the voltage at the outlet drops to near zero when you release S1 back to PRIME/RUN then the voltage regulator is bad.

Glenn H

Pin 5&6 DC voltage on VR. With S1 In start while running is 7.5
AC voltage at convenience outlet wit set running an S1 held in start is 124. 12
AC voltage across VR terminals 7&8 with set running and S1 held in start is 85.9
The good news is:

- The flashing function is working, the wiring to the exciter is good and the exciter is good. (7.5 volts)

Measure the resistance between that wire and terminal 2 of the voltage regulator. As you rotate the voltage adjust on the front panel the resistance should smoothly vary from about 0 ohms to about 5,000 ohms.

If that checks out then re-attach the wire to terminal 1 of the voltage regulator.

Start the generator and measure the AC voltage across voltage regulator terminals 3 & 4 with S1 held in START. It ought to be about 120 volts AC.

If all that checks out and the voltage at the outlet drops to near zero when you release S1 back to PRIME/RUN then the voltage regulator is bad.
The good news is:

If that checks out, then re-attach the wire to terminal 1 of the voltage regulator.

With wire removed from terminal 1 and checking ohms across wire and terminal 2 I’m going from 0 up to 4300 ohms while rotating voltage
Across 3 and 4 while running and S1 held I’m getting 123 volts and with S1 dropped back to prime I’m getting 7.6 volts. Looks like a voltage regulator, thank you for the help. For the benefit of those reading this I have purchased a voltage regulator from KloppK Thank you sir your help has been invaluable. Also would love to thank Ray70 for all his help with the engine and Guyfang for his assistant as well. I post a video on YouTube after replacing the Voltage regulator and give a shout out to Steel Soldiers with a link.

Glenn H

guyfang, yes it was the same thread, someone had put the pumps together with the piston that is pushed up by the tapet 90 degrees off . The first picture is correct the second picture was the way the pump was put together. I was told to contact you and I tried to send you a message but couldn’t get it to go through. I’ll let you know Monday how things are going. Thanks for your help. I’ve had a couple other members helping me as well and I greatly appreciate it.
This is the correct way to assemble the Injector Pump.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks