• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A with low voltage output

chilbun28

Hi guys, I have a MEP-803A that runs great. I'm having an issue with low voltage output. The voltage knob adjust the voltage fine until the last probably 1/3 of adjustment range, the knob continues to dial up like it should but the voltage isn't increasing past the 200 area on the gauge. This is also verified by my multimeter. Any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, I have a MEP-803A that runs great. I'm having an issue with low voltage output. The voltage knob adjust the voltage fine until the last probably 1/3 of adjustment range, the knob continues to dial up like it should but the voltage isn't increasing past the 200 area on the gauge. This is also verified by my multimeter. Any suggestions? Thanks
What's the main switch set to behind the gage set...flip the front down...guessing it's at the 3 phase?? It goes to 208 volts I think but the 120 240 volt will go higher. A few things I just noticed in the pics is the voltage on the meter shows 95 volts...I assume that's one leg...looking at the pic of the genset it shows a touch over 200...if it is set to 2 legs then that's only 190 volts actual...other thing is the adjustment knob should be turned clockwise to add voltage it looks like it is turned all the way counter clockwise...just trying to clarify.
Added a pic of where mine is for 120 240...make sure the genset is off before you switch it.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My switch behind the panel is set just as yours it. And the voltage adjustment knob is all the way clockwise.
Oh geez ok...I had to go out and try to turn my voltage knob that far...it does go where yours is in the pic...I barely have it off clockwise to get the 240 volts though. I'd have to dig in the tm to see what the diag process is from here. Was hoping it was something simple like a setting.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Ray70

Take a look at your voltage regulator. On the front there might ( depending on mfgr. ) be a small hole with an adjustment pot located inside.
That is your coarse adjustment for the VR, the external pot on the control panel is the fine adjustment.
It's possible that the coarse adjustment is either off a little or someone fiddled with it.
Try a small screwdriver and turn it clockwise a little and see if the output increases.

chilbun28

Take a look at your voltage regulator. On the front there might ( depending on mfgr. ) be a small hole with an adjustment pot located inside.
That is your coarse adjustment for the VR, the external pot on the control panel is the fine adjustment.
It's possible that the coarse adjustment is either off a little or someone fiddled with it.
Try a small screwdriver and turn it clockwise a little and see if the output increases.
Found it, although it looks a little jacked up in there. I've tried turning a screwdriver in there and getting nothing.

Attachments

chilbun28

Big thanks to Kurt who has upgraded replacement voltage regulators for sale in the classified section. I tried adjusting my coarse adjustment on the original vr and the slightest adjustment just budging it would throw it from low voltage to tripping out on high voltage. I ordered a new one from Kurt and it arrived a little better than an hour ago. Very seamless instructions to follow and got them swapped out fairly quickly. The generator now produces the full voltage range and I couldn't be happier. I think it was a fair price and Kurt is a good man to do business with. And thanks to everyone else for helping me through the low voltage issue. -Chuck

Guyfang

Staff member
I know I have written this someplace else, but love to tell the story. I spent 10.5 years in an Air Defense Artillery, (ADA) Hawk unit. For most of the first 5 years, I spent every other, or every third night on 24 hour duty. I am NOT A DUCK HUNTER! Thats an ADA person. Have to get that in here. Anyway, when ever a new Lt. came in, they quickly bought a tiny screwdriver. To "Adjust" things. In a effort to not fail an evaluation, they would adjust meters and things to be "In the Green". Not long after this started, the Maintenance guys would get a VERY large screwdriver, and present it to the new LT, and tell him, anything that you can adjust with this screwdriver, do so. NOTHING else.

1700176623530.png
Well, maybe not this big, but close. Most of them took it well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks