• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a with Mil Trailer

m561gamagoat

Just bought this gen. I'm told it isn't generating power but I'm skeptical based on the people selling it. Runs fine. I'll get it home and figure it out. I though $1000 was worth the shot. I'll advise further if I can't figure it out.
! IMG_7729 2.jpgIMG_7728 2.jpgIMG_7727 2.jpgIMG_7723 2.jpgIMG_7722 2.jpgIMG_7721 2.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it doesn't make power, you've got well over a grand in potential resale there (Ive sold those trailers for more than a grand, by themselves).

Chainbreaker

Nice find and looks to be in great condition from an external photo perspective!!! Be sure to download all the TM's for it, if you haven't already, contained under the "Technical Manuals" header above.

FloridaAKM

That is a screaming deal with the trailer included in the price as the trailer looks to be in great shape. Locally, I was watching several MEP803a's that were non runners & individually they went for $3K as is for a '93 Libbey unit. Good score for you! Hopefully you will find some small issue & she will be running & keeping you home happy for years to come in power outages.

csheath

Looks like you got a good deal.

I wonder if the seller knew they had to toggle the circuit interrupter switch to make power? Wouldn't that be funny if they just didn't download and read the TM.

m561gamagoat

Added some pics ran my Gen

Went through the bins today. Seem pretty complete with the slide hammer, ground rod, air lines, brand new sledge hammer LOL. The trailer from what Ive read is simply Trailer Chassis and included in the TM with the M1101 HMMWV trailers. 98 hours on the clock. I talked to the guy I got it from. He had a couple things plugged into the 120 outlets and it would trip after bout 15 minutes. I noticed the phase/volts switch was set on PH 3? 240 volts setting? Anyway seemed to work for me. I ran a small fan that was handy. not much of a load I suppose. Anyway I'll mess with it again tomorrow most likely.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like he was overdrawing the convenience outlet (its only 10A), and kicking the breaker off. The AM/VM switch simply controls which setting the gauges are looking for. Set that puppy to 3 o clock for normal 120/240V 1ph. Sounds like you got a steal on this.

FloridaAKM

I agree with Light in the Dark about the power issue. My other smaller genset, a 701A will blow the fuse on the convenience outlet if too much current is drawn. The regular power lugs are a different story. There is a 803a locally that I am looking @, but the non running condition, lack of tools & no trailer let me know that if I buy it, I am getting a stupidly poor deal on my part compared to yours.
Good luck as you go thru your new to you machine.

69birdman

That is a smoking deal you got, and jackpot in the tool box! Aux. Fuel line, fuel bung adapter, ground rods ,hammers , very nice.
Make sure to check for Quad fuse mod inside control panel. Sounds like the person you got it from didn't really know how to use it. Great find !

m561gamagoat

Great advice on the quad mod. Mine does not have that. I ordered the parts today to install it. Total of $44.00. Coulda been less but I don't want to wait too long. LOL. This site has always been alotta help for both my vehicles and now geneset. Next I'm thinking USMC Mule!! for my retirement present next summer. Thanks to all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks