• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A won't start

steelydan

Hey folks,

I've been lax for a while and didn't start it for at least a couple months. Before that, it's been running reliably.
I tried to start it yesterday. The batteries were dead, so I charged them both. IIRC, it sounds a bit different than it used to.
I checked the oil and the dip stick was reading full.
None of the lights on the fault indicator panel are on.
Temp outside was about 45 degrees F.
I took a video, hoping that someone would be able to diagnose the sounds.
Note the slight clicking sound when I switch it to prime/run.
Any input would be appreciated.

Here's the video: https://streamable.com/hztcr4

Last edited:

steelydan

How long did you charge batteries for and what were the individual battery voltage readings once you charged them? Also, are all battery connections verified tight?
Hi.
I charged them both overnight with my Battery Tender and took them off charge when the charger light turned green. Same procedure I've used in the past. I didn't verify the actual voltage though.
Yes, I tightened the connectors till they wouldn't take much more.

steelydan

Busted out the Fluke and each of the batteries read ~12.6 VDC.
Slave reads ~25 VDC.
Left battery voltage didn't budge when I tried to start it.
Right battery started at ~12.3 VDC, then dropped to a negative value when I tried to start it.
I think I found the culpret. Tomorrow I'll try to recharge that one for shits n giggles.

Thanks everyone!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup. The least expensive AGM I have found that works well in this is the Champion AGM Group 51R

Lead acid batteries work fine for this too, never hurts to keep whatever technology you go with on a battery tender.

Edit: If you have a good Red Top already, you really shouldn't mix batteries... you might need to pony up.

steelydan

Yup. The least expensive AGM I have found that works well in this is the Champion AGM Group 51R

Lead acid batteries work fine for this too, never hurts to keep whatever technology you go with on a battery tender.

Edit: If you have a good Red Top already, you really shouldn't mix batteries... you might need to pony up.
It came with two yellow Optima D51Rs when I bought it. I'd hate to buy a new one for $250 to maybe see the other one go bad soon.
I'd prolly rather buy two new ones you posted.

With your receptacle, how would you hook up the Battery Tender inside? You'd still have to keep swapping the leads between batteries, unless you've designed away to charge both at once, no? But at least with your receptacle, I could keep it neat and the covers closed.

nextalcupfan

This is what I did, bought the 24V battery tender and wired the positive to the starter terminal, negative to a bolt on the intake.
Also I didn't leave it on the floor, I mounted it to the divider in the front middle of the unit. (In between the access doors)

Attachments

steelydan

This is what I did, bought the 24V battery tender and wired the positive to the starter terminal, negative to a bolt on the intake.
Also I didn't leave it on the floor, I mounted it to the divider in the front middle of the unit. (In between the access doors)
I've got the 12V Battery Tender. Might be time for an upgrade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks