• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a

chilbun28

Curious if I can crank the generator and just let it run for several hours here and there just to exercise it without any load or if I need to at least plug in a fan or something into the 110 plug for somewhere to send some power to.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do what you describe, you will end up with "wet stacking".

These generators are designed to be run under a load. You can make a load of sufficient size using 2 electric dryer heating elements and a fan to cool them and a couple of pieces of #10 or #8 wire.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can't put a load on it, no reason to even start it. The marginal gain of circulating fuel through the filters can be accomplished just by letting the set prime for the equal amount of time. If you have room for a free electric range (craigslist, FB marketplace, side of the road, etc) they make excellent 'dumb' load banks with decent draw for the larger 803.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Here’s how I put a load on my MEP-803A stand-by unit. It’s a simple brine tank. I leave it right next to where my generator sits. I just have to add water once in a while from evaporation. Never have to add salt, it doesn’t evaporate. I bought a 10’ length of 6 gauge cable with 3 conductors. I should have bought a cable with 4 conductors so I could load test in three phase. I use my hand held electrical measuring tools and compare those readings with the generator gauges.ACC47C52-1311-4DBA-B8B7-AFF94125D9EE.jpeg3826E804-2728-4A54-9CF6-D42CF32CCF63.jpeg46CA1D31-1305-4E72-80AD-7526802EDDF7.jpegE3052F94-CD39-4F59-A805-0B350D184EEC.jpeg

loosegravel

Here’s how I put a load on my MEP-803A stand-by unit. It’s a simple brine tank. I leave it right next to where my generator sits. I just have to add water once in a while from evaporation. Never have to add salt, it doesn’t evaporate. I bought a 10’ length of 6 gauge cable with 3 conductors. I should have bought a cable with 4 conductors so I could load test in three phase. I use my hand held electrical measuring tools and compare those readings with the generator gauges.View attachment 889371View attachment 889372View attachment 889373View attachment 889374
Those are grounding rods from a generator that I repurposed. The further down they go into the brine tank, the higher the load becomes. Also, as the brine temperature increases, so does the load. So it’s necessary to keep an eye on it for a short period of time, or the load can increase too far and bog down the generator. Simple yet effective. I can bring a 30kw to it’s knees with this same 40 gallon brine tank.

loosegravel

Looks like a copy of what we made. But cant be any kids or wildlife around.
I’m told that nitrogen is an off-gas of using this method to load test. But being that 80% of the air that we breathe is already nitrogen, and this brine tank is outside of my shop, I don’t see a risk. Also, this is considered to be low voltage. Any voltage greater than 500 is considered high voltage, at which point has the potential to arc through the air. I’ve done quite a bit of research on this, and yes I do have respect for electricity and it’s potential. I have put my volt meter on the 2x4 insulator between each conductor and found only millivolts present. I know that would change if the 2x4 was wet from rain. The generator and the brine tank are both under a lean-to cover that I built overhead.

Ray70

Definitely looks like a cool, simple load bank solution.
I think Guy's point is that you and I know enough not to touch it while in operation, but kids get curious.... and wildlife just doesn't know any better than to bump into it or stick their face in to investigate the water.... assumingly the noise of the generator running would keep the deer and moose away, but.... you never know! especially with kids ( and a few adults too ) and they won't touch the 2x4... they will go right for the ground rods.
Just be safe and don't assume that everyone knows better than to touch things, because they don't!

justinn

As KLOPPK mentioned, the 240v garage heaters work great as a semi portable load bank. I waited for a good deal on the 4500/6500 watt ones and bought a couple of them. You can find them for around 80 bucks if you look around(or cheaper if you use FB or CL). Word of caution though.... they are not really 6500W as far as I could tell, so for an 803A, you'd need 3 of them. At 6500W X2, I can load an 803 to right at 95%. To get to 133%, you will need the 3rd at 4500W. If you are exercising the generator more than actually using it, I would definitely suggest that route to prevent wet stacking.

I hard wired them all together, but really need [to] build something with wheels to move it around easier....

Guyfang

Staff member
Curious if I can crank the generator and just let it run for several hours here and there just to exercise it without any load or if I need to at least plug in a fan or something into the 110 plug for somewhere to send some power to.

Lets keep this in perspective. You are not going to hurt anything if you start and run it for short time periods. Yes, its better to run them under a load, but that doesn't mean to NEVER run it, with out a load. You can, if you had to, run it with low or no load 2-3 days, and not really hurt anything. I would suggest loading it up for an hour afterwards, to as close as rated load as possible, but do not worry about short times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks