• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803aclack noise, spontaniously runs roungh during warm up. Injector or lifter?

novaman

I have an 803 and I noticed I have a clack noise that is intermittent and when its clacking it drops rpm just a little from 60hz to 59hz. Then it will go away and smooth out. Think its an injector or a lifter? I'm thinking maybe lifter. Sometimes its just on cold start up then goes away another time I heard it clack while it had been running for a bit under load. Shut it down cause i wasn't sure what it was. dead cranked it. No noise. started it back up no noise. Any ideas before i tear into it. I load tested it at 12kw for a few hours and held the load no problem even when i heard the clack but i could feel it was off.

The one in the video is the one that clacks. It started a little rough then smoothed out let it warm up and then it ran smooth no clack that time.
Found another use for these things. buddy was buying some cnc's out of a warehouse that didnt have 3 phase available so i rented it out to him for 2 hours to check em out before he bought em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMnq8amLgA

Last edited:

eatont9999

Before you tear into it, you could run a dose of Diesel injector cleaner through it and see if that makes a difference. I didn't hear anything abnormal in the video, so I am making an assumption here.

Just so you know, yes, bad or poor performing injectors can make a Diesel engine sound like it has bigger issues.

Guyfang

Staff member
Clack noise.

Could it be you somehow lose the voltage to the fuel cutoff solenoid, for a millisecond? When the voltage to the solenoid cuts off, the coil retracts FAST. A momentary loss of voltage might just give you that sound. And of course, the momentary dip in hertz.

Triple Jim

You can periodically highlight the test of your reply, right click, and hit "copy". Then it's in your clipboard, and if the board logs you off, you can still start over and hit "paste".

novaman

Lets try again. I load tested this unit for like an hour at 80% Then i started to hear the clanking. Sounded valve train speed not engine speed. Opened the door where the solenoid and filters are. Didn't see the solenoid doing anything funny. But heard the clank coming from the side ish of the engine. I shut it down. then immediately ran dead crank to try to pin point the noise. Couldn't hear any noise. Started the unit up again. No noise about 1-2 mins has passed since shut down. Thought maybe temp related since it had a little time to cool. Let it run for another hour heard it come back but I was out of light and neighbors patience. Next day I took it to the CNC. I started it up that's when i felt it go rough smooth rough. Saw the HZ was at 59.5 so I turned it up to 60. !-2 mins later I saw it had gone up to 60.5Hz so i turned it back down. felt smooth now. let it run about 2 hours low to no load and seamed fine wile we messed with the CNC's. Didn't hear it clack that time but the clack in the first place isn't super loud in the first place but defiantly noticeable when its not supposed to be there.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Some diesel engines get a fuel knock if they are slightly fuel starved or are sucking in air from somewhere. That would jive with it bogging down a bit also. It it was me I would do new filters and replace all the rubber fuel lines to start with.

novaman

Some diesel engines get a fuel knock if they are slightly fuel starved or are sucking in air from somewhere. That would jive with it bogging down a bit also. It it was me I would do new filters and replace all the rubber fuel lines to start with.
I did replace some leaky hoses already but when? had to be before i took it to the CNC but I only replaced the return line stuff.
Has new filters and separator.

jamawieb

I'm kind of siding on the side of air also. Make sure the hard lines to the injectors are all tight and the filter housing are not leaking.

novaman

After i replaced the return lines from injectors to tank i hosed her down with engine cleaner and then the garden hose. Let her dry out and ran her for a bit more. Didnt see any leaks but ill change hoses to the low side feed to the injection pumps from the hard line feeder. See if it helps. If its injector knock shouldn't it smoke? Not that i was looking at the exhaust when it was doing it but i will next time.

Guyfang

Staff member
It's very possible that it's injector knock. The longer I read about this sort of thing, the more I think that when you buy a TQG, that's the first thing you need to replace, every darn flexible fuel line. There just has to be something better then that crap the army uses. Didn't Daybreak post a thread about an alternative hose?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks