• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804 - Over Voltage

Fmeroney

Hey all,
I did a voltage check today after a routine startup and noticed that it’s was producing 132v so I tried to turn it down, as i turned it down the voltage spiked to 170+ volts and the unit shut of. I then attempted to do the same on restart but got the same results.

Can someone point me in a direction on where to find the issue? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

Just a thought...sometimes those type of wiper switches get dirty/oxidized from lack of movement. With the unit turned OFF, I would mark where it was last set for 120 V and then fully exercise the switch fully stop-to-stop both directions several times and then return to the mark.

Then restart and see what it is reading and try adjusting it for proper voltage. If the problem still exists you have something wrong elsewhere.

Have you downloaded the Technical Manuals for it located here on SS?

Fmeroney

Just a thought...sometimes those type of wiper switches get dirty/oxidized from lack of movement. With the unit turned OFF, I would mark where it was last set for 120 V and then fully exercise the switch fully stop-to-stop both directions several times and then return to the mark.

Then restart and see what it is reading and try adjusting it for proper voltage. If the problem still exists you have something wrong elsewhere.

Have you downloaded the Technical Manuals for it located here on SS?
I do have all the TMs for the 804, and I will give that a try and see what happens.

Fmeroney

TB 11-6115-741-24, page 33 of 136 in the pdf file. Here's this TB - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/military-mep-generator-reset-information.169771/

Search the Technical Bulletin for details on your machine for the Quad fuse install. I referenced the 805 above (from another thread).....and your 804 is on the same page....very similar machine to the 805a.
Thanks for this, looks like my machine needs the fuse installed. I ordered the parts, do you think this could be linked to my issue?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not related to the quad mod. That mod just protects the Quad winding from getting damaged should the voltage regulator fail. The MOV mod helps protect the voltage regulator from failing due to voltage spikes from the quad winding causing the diodes in the regulator to short out.
When I was at your place a while back I saw the same issue with your output voltage being high and trying to adjust it making it jump around. I recall letting you know about it and the coolant "leak" when I was there.

Fmeroney

It's not related to the quad mod. That mod just protects the Quad winding from getting damaged should the voltage regulator fail. The MOV mod helps protect the voltage regulator from failing due to voltage spikes from the quad winding causing the diodes in the regulator to short out.
When I was at your place a while back I saw the same issue with your output voltage being high and trying to adjust it making it jump around. I recall letting you know about it and the coolant "leak" when I was there.
I remember, fixed the leak but haven’t been able to locate the source of the over voltage issue...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get some deoxit contact cleaner and go through all of the switches and contacts while you are waiting for the mod parts to come in. I have experienced over voltage readings on 803s from corrosion, that disappear after everything is cleaned up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks