• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804A shutting down

Puckfandan

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have an MEP 804A, 200+ hours, it starts right up and the outlets produce power. (Purchased this way) As soon as I close the AC circuit interrupter the machine shuts down immediately. Oil level is fine, oil pressure is fine, coolant fine, does charge batteries. Any thoughts about what could be going on? Thanks!

Last edited:

Puckfandan

I will try to post the video in a bit but a light did come on, low oil pressure light, The oil pressure is just under 80.

Puckfandan

206EE875-2CF0-4540-A0A3-EEA0A83BE813.jpg This is what it looks like running but I will try to upload a video to YouTube and put a link because this is not allowing me to post a video from my iPhone. Also, Oil level is correct.

Guyfang

Staff member
Try this. Start the set. Let it run 5-10 min. The flip the S7, (Battle Short switch) up. The flip the S5, (AC Interupter switch) to the closed position. What happens? Describe it.

Puckfandan

Stayed running, oil pressure was fine but low oil pressure light came on but it kept running and put power to my panel. Do you think it’s my oil pressure switch? Is yes, why does it only come on when I close S5?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Stayed running, oil pressure was fine but low oil pressure light came on but it kept running and put power to my panel. Do you think it’s my oil pressure switch? Is yes, why does it only come on when I close S5?
I cant rightly say. We need to do a bit of trouble shooting.

Is this what happens EVERY time you push the S5 to the close position?

I noticed that you pushed the DS-7, (AC interrupter light) in, to press to test, it hung up. You had to press it again to get it to return to its normal position. Exercise the light, to get it to work right.

Go to the MT-7, LOP, (Low Oil Pressure) switch. Disconnect the wire 177B and tape it off. Start the set normaly. After it runs a bit, try and close S5. What happens?

Puckfandan

Yes it did happen every single time I close S5, I just did what you suggested and I noticed the 169A was pulled out of the connector.

I went ahead and repaired the wire and plugged it in when I started it the low oil pressure light comes on immediately when I release the starter it shuts down.

Went ahead and disconnected the 177B and it started right up and kept running, closed S5 and the low oil pressure light came on again and it shut down.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes it did happen every single time I close S5, I just did what you suggested and I noticed the 169A was pulled out of the connector. Did this look like someone had done it on purpose? When some one pulled out this wire, its a good way to fool an inspector into coding this gen set for DRMO, and sales.

I went ahead and repaired the wire and plugged it in when I started it the low oil pressure light comes on immediately when I release the starter it shuts down. Now normally, I would say take the LOP out and pressurize it. Work it in and out a few times, maybe its stuck. BUT, big but here.....

Went ahead and disconnected the 177B and it started right up and kept running, closed S5 and the low oil pressure light came on again and it shut down.
When the set shut back down after removing wire 177, that cuts the LOP out of the problem. Can not be the LOP.

This is I THINK a safety fault. Do you have access to another A2, (Fault indicator panel)? I have only seen a few go bad, but this was how it looked. After looking at every TQG parts TM, its apparent, that the A2 is common to all TQG's EXCEPT the 802 and 803.

I would also open the control panel and look at all the plastic relays, make sure they are tight in their socket, no loose or broken wires and no relay clips maybe hanging loose and making contact with something else. I would also look as S5. Wires loose? The last thing I would do is pull out all the plastic relays, and shove them into different mounts. If you get a different failure light, then its a relay.

I will warn you. There are 8 relays. Below them is another relay, (according to the book, but is really a switch) that look much alike. Don't mix them up. Warning number two. There is 24 volts in the control cube even with the set off, switches off, and S17, (emergency shut down) switch pushed in. I know where its hot, and where its not, in the control cube. When I work in there, I take off the MAIN NEGATIVE battery terminal and make darn sure it will not fall back into place while I am knob dicking around in the control cube. All you need to do is drop something metal in on the shunt, and you WILL let all the magic smoke and Pixy dust out of the set.

Puckfandan

Yes it did look like it had been broken off and pushed back in intentionally. Unfortunately when I bought it I knew a little about it but I am learning and intend on being in this for the long-haul! I live off grid and this is my first Mep804A but my intention is to get another one next year! Thank you very much for your time, I greatly appreciate it! I will let you know how I make out! I just purchased another A2 on eBay, arrives next Wed.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it did look like it had been broken off and pushed back in intentionally. Unfortunately when I bought it I knew a little about it but I am learning and intend on being in this for the long-haul! I live off grid and this is my first Mep803A but my intention is to get another one next year! Thank you very much for your time, I greatly appreciate it! I will let you know how I make out! I just purchased another A2 on eBay, arrives next Wed.
803? You mean 804, right?

Puckfandan

Update: Replaced the A2 and I am still where I was. I guess my next step is to take a look at the relays. I am 100% certain that I have the correct oil pressure I know someone is going to frown when they read this question, this is my back up generator and I live off grid and if my other generator goes down I absolutely have to have power. Can I temporarily run this with S7 up until I can get it properly troubleshot?

Guyfang

Staff member
Sure you can. But you need to pay way more attention to it when you do.

Try this. At night, start it up normally. Open the control panel door. Turn out the lights. Flip up S5, all the time watching inside the control panel for a spark.

Do the above, but this time watch the CB1.

Remove all the plastic relays, one at a time. Make sure when you put them back in, that you do NOT put them in the same socket as what they came out of. Then try starting up the set and closing CB1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks