• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A White Smoke from Generator Head behind L4 Lug - No Amp or Hertz on Gauges

scharpestguy

Hey everyone, see my other post for background information on my MEP-804A. Earlier this morning after I got it running last night I tested it and plugged in a shop light and it all worked and sounded great. Gauges were all good and then the engine went up/down and the light went dark and white smoke started pouring out where the Generator Head mates up to the Engine or behind the L4 Lug.

I went back outside just now and the generator started up perfectly but I had no Amp or Hertz on the gauges. Only ran it for a minute or so both times and neither time did I have any white smoke again. Any thoughts on where I should look next? Is the generator head _____??

Thank you

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you downloaded all the TM for this gen set.
What other thread do you mean? There are about a billion "other threads". At the age of 67, I have problems remembering my own name.

scharpestguy

Here are some photos. Fuse it came with has the wire which I'm guessing was a McGuyver/Duck Tape solution. If the fuses i linked to are correct I will order those.

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Here are some photos. Fuse it came with has the wire which I'm guessing was a McGuyver/Duck Tape solution. If the fuses i linked to are correct I will order those.
Good. But you need to now read up on testing the Quad circuit. If you need help finding it, say something. I am on my way now to do some work for the kids. Be back later today.

scharpestguy

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be the attachment you posted in post 5 of this Thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/mep-804a-overvoltage-where-do-i-start.200105/#post-2331593

This says it applies to: "Repair for MEP-802/812/803/813 Tactical Quiet Generator (TQG) Voltage Regulator (A1) and
Quad Winding Problem" would it be the same for the MEP-804A?

I ordered fuses a few minutes ago, could not find locally: Bussmann Buss FNQ-R-3 3 Amp Fuse
You need to go to page 5 of that document. Pages 1-4 deal with the 802/803. Pages 5 thru 7 addresses the 804,805,806.

Guyfang

Staff member
I think you need to start with checking your A1, volt regulator. You had a 30 amp fuse in it, instead of a 3 amp fuse. If the A1 is bad, it could burn up the excitation stater. To check the F1 and F2 on the excitation stater, you can ohm it out. Right now I can not get at my TM's and stuff. Kurt, what would be a good reading on the F1 and F2 wires? If that is burnt up, then the A1 is bad also.

scharpestguy

Thank you Kloppk I just ordered the correct fuses per your instruction. I am off shortly but hope to be able to test the Ohms later tomorrow for A1 Terminals 1 &3. Will report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks